Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Obama the slave owner

We've all read this story about Obama's ancestors owning slaves. My question is who leaked this/handed it to the press: the Clintons or the Republicans?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: McCain and Edwards, the slave owners

[ QUOTE ]
Reitwiesner's research identifies two other presidential candidates, Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former Democratic Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, as descendants of slave owners. Three of McCain's great-great-grandfathers in Mississippi owned slaves, including one who owned 52 in 1860. Two ancestors of Edwards owned one slave each in Georgia in 1860.

[/ QUOTE ]

And one of Condi Rice's ancestors:
Burr Woodward Head, plantation owner near Clinton, Greene Co., Ala

So?

My question is: Why does anybody think any of this matters? Do you really think this matters to voters? What someone's ancestor did 145 years ago?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reitwiesner's research identifies two other presidential candidates, Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former Democratic Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, as descendants of slave owners. Three of McCain's great-great-grandfathers in Mississippi owned slaves, including one who owned 52 in 1860. Two ancestors of Edwards owned one slave each in Georgia in 1860.

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

My question is: Why does anybody think any of this matters? Do you really think this matters to voters? What someone's ancestor did 145 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the amount and history of sexual relations between slave-owners and their slaves, I wouldn't be surprised if a substantial portion of the modern day African-American population who are descended from slaves had slave-owning ancestors.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 PM

How many times does this garbage have to be repeated? How many people will keep trying to link it to the Clintons?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the amount and history of sexual relations between slave-owners and their slaves, I wouldn't be surprised if a substantial portion of the modern day African-American population who are descended from slaves had slave-owning ancestors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, there is no human being on earth who is greater than 50th cousins from any other human being on earth. So when you think about it, who you were related to from 200 years ago is really pretty irrelevant.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Obama the slave owner

[ QUOTE ]
We've all read this story about Obama's ancestors owning slaves. My question is who leaked this/handed it to the press: the Clintons or the Republicans?

[/ QUOTE ]
No one "leaked" it. A geneaological researcher dug it up himself using public records and contacted the Chicago Tribune.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 AM

I hate to break it to you but based on my experience with the voters "issues" like this are far more likely do effect elections than real issues such as healthcare or the war in Iraq. I have worked for two congressional campaigns and managed a race for state legislature in Pennsylvania and the most common concerns expressed by voters are usually irrelevant to either candidates ability to perform their job effectively.

Many people I talk to find it hard to believe that this is the case, the problem is that intelligent, well informed voters over estimate the rest of the voting public.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to break it to you but based on my experience with the voters "issues" like this are far more likely do effect elections than real issues such as healthcare or the war in Iraq. I have worked for two congressional campaigns and managed a race for state legislature in Pennsylvania and the most common concerns expressed by voters are usually irrelevant to either candidates ability to perform their job effectively.

Many people I talk to find it hard to believe that this is the case, the problem is that intelligent, well informed voters over estimate the rest of the voting public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine why anyone would find this hard to believe. Simply watch any "debate" or interview and watch them avoid all the questions rather than answer them. Issues are obviously secondary in politics.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times does this garbage have to be repeated? How many people will keep trying to link it to the Clintons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that if Hillary felt truly threatened by Obama that she would not resort to this type of tactic?

NCAces
Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts if think the Clintons (Hillary especially) are above the lowest form of political dirt slinging. Hillary cried when Geffen called her and Bill liars and demanded that her political rival ask him to recant his statement. We're talking about a highly insecure, overly emotional, vindictive person here.

She'd do anything she could to topple Obama right now. Anything. Just remember Vince Foster and others who have stood in their way.