Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Default 2 cpu\'s buying a 3rd need ideals on PTdb options

i been playing online poker for 2 years now and over that time i've built up some hardware. I've got an older cpu with it own monitor that i never use hooked up via network cable and cat card to a newer cpu w/ 2 monitors i multi table on. I was think of buying a laptop needed to now if it was possible to have my older cpu and newer cpu data mine in the morning for a few hours then upload the 2 files to the laptop? Then i could move on to other sites and mine there. thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: 2 cpu\'s buying a 3rd need ideals on PTdb options

You can export the hand histories from one database and transfer those files onto the other harddrive and upload to new database.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can export the hand histories from one database and transfer those files onto the other harddrive and upload to new database.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks icmoney can i have it done auto by PT or script?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Two things.

First, if you can, get a desktop not a laptop. The performance is much better and will be needed for large dbs, PT and PA Hud, etc.

Second, don't waste your time transferring files all over the place.

Set your computers up on a network and have the older computers import the data into your main computer you play on, that way there is nothing to do and the data is there whenever you need it.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two things.

First, if you can, get a desktop not a laptop. The performance is much better and will be needed for large dbs, PT and PA Hud, etc.

Set your computers up on a network and have the older computers import the data into your main computer you play on, that way there is nothing to do and the data is there whenever you need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey greg thats what I want to do. Right now i have 2 cpu's can i set up my old 1 to data mine while i play on cpu 2 then upload from 1 to 2 via the network(i have a network card on both connected via cat5 cable). In the future i would like to have a wireless network w/laptop so i can 2 site mine while playing on another. thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gregg,

for those of us not really computer savvy can you please elaborate on what is meant by this.

if the dataming/older computer is writing to the playing/newer one(?), then doesnt this bog down the newer one just as if it were doing the processing itself?

im sure im not understanding correctly.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 PM

In an optimal setup, your PT Database(s) is going to be on its own networked computer

Technically, we would call that the: Database Server... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 PM

thanks sniper.

dense as i am, that's exactly the way i thought, if im understanding you correctly.
database/spare/second computer dedicated to datamining. main/playing/first computer set up to read needed information for programs like pt or pahud from the datamining computer via some kind of network, correct?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks sniper.

dense as i am, that's exactly the way i thought, if im understanding you correctly.
database/spare/second computer dedicated to datamining. main/playing/first computer set up to read needed information for programs like pt or pahud from the datamining computer via some kind of network, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, for optimal performance I do not think Sniper has it correct.

Whenever you pull data over the network, especially a wireless, there is a lag.

However, there is very little, almost non existant cpu affect to write to the hard drive.

The majority of the cpu drain is from running PT and importing the hands.

So you store the dbs on your playing computer, and you have the datamining computers write to the playing computer.

I have played with a dozen different configurations and when you have large dbs the one that works best is to have the dbs on your playing computer along with PT and PA Hud, and be sure that the only hands your playing computer is importing when you are playing are the hands you are actually involved in.

Clear as mud? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you have windows xp it's really simple. Just run the create network wizard so your computers can see each other, then right click your PT folder on your playing computer and set it to file sharing, then browse to the dbs on your playing computer and start importing.