Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Common Situation - Struggling with Small/Med PPs

I'm making the transition from 2/4-5/10 full ring to 2/4 6-max, and pocket pairs seem to be an area in which I am not maximizing value.

Typical situation: I am in MP with 22-77 and raise first in to 3.5bb. I get a caller (35/12) immediately behind me, and the button (28/10) also calls.

I'm betting sets, oesd, and other obviously good flops (Axx, 233, etc., with a weight toward non-drawy, non 2-flush boards) but I feel like I typically bet, get called in one place, and then have to shut down. I end up losing 11-12bbs way too often here.

What sort of frequency are you C-betting here? 2nd barreling with nothing? I know a lot of this is too situational to be discussed, but there have to be some good general ideas that can help.

How much different is the above scenario if it is the player behind you and the SB or BB(you're only OOP to one player), and the flop is checked to you?

I'd be happy to try to provide specific examples if anyone thinks it will help.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Common Situation - Struggling with Small/Med PPs

This is what poker is all about. You just have to identify hand ranges for each of the callers and how those hand ranges mesh with the flop and how they will behave under each circumstance. There's really nothing else to tell you. Just think about the factors -
1. Is he a loose caller preflop?
2. Does he call with a lot of weak aces? Suited semi-connectors?
3. Is he weak postflop? Is he loose?
4. Does he semi-bluff a lot? Will he float me?
5. What does he think of my range preflop?
6. What does he think I'll do postflop? Can I take it down with a second barrel? Can I check/raise him out of his seat on the turn?

There's no simple answer. This is why short-handed play is fun!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Common Situation - Struggling with Small/Med PPs

middle pockets are the hardest hands to play IMHO.

Continuation bets are definitely a good way to go (depending on the texture of the flop), not all the time mind you, mix it up a bit, but definitely often.

As the other poster mentioned, evaluate your opponents, i.e. how tight are they? what is there hand range for both raising and calling? Do they apply the Gap concept?

look at your poker tracker stats and (assuming you use the poker ace hud) look and see how often they fold to a flop bet, or how often they in turn bet the flop? what is their aggression factor? i.e. bluff the tight players, not the LAG's.

Bet your hand for value against the LAG's (situational dependent) as you'll often have the best hand. That is, if you know they'll call your prelfop raise with junk, i.e. off suit one gappers, unsuited connectors, etc.

the single best piece of advice I can give you for post flop play, is to do a complete analysis of the texture of the flop before you act, and take your time. Don't rush. If you're holding middle pockets, I would strongly suggest you don't bet into a board with an A on it. I'm sure you here this all the time, but too many players (especially at a short handed table) play weak aces.

Be wary of tens on the board, as they complete straights, and people love to draw.

What has worked for me in the past is this: I raise PF with middle pockets, get called, and the flop comes. If I'm sitting on middle pockets and there is only 1 high card i.e. J,Q, or K, (I won't bet into the Ace usually) then I'll lead out with a continuation bet. If there is multiple paint on the board, then I usually slow down with middle pockets, check, and see what happens, as they are so easily beaten by a loose KQ, KJ, QJ call prelfop.

lastly, if you are betting your middle pockets for value post flop, then fire at the flop and turn. 1/2 pot bet size will keep you out of trouble. You mentioned it yourself, but many players will call (with position) on the flop, to see how you handle the turn. If you shut down, they know they can usually hijack the pot from you.
This play usually works best if there is only 1 overcard to your PP.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'm not an authority or anything, but the above has kept me out of trouble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]