Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Soft Games at low limits
Party 63 80.77%
Stars 15 19.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2007, 12:37 PM

Default 80GB iPod, PSP, or DS for B&M\'s?

I used to be an exclusive online $25 and $50 PLO8 player and am trying to make the switch to LO8 live. I've played less than a dozen times and have been bored to frustration live because I used to multi-table.

I've been researching the 80GB iPod and the PSP am having trouble deciding on one. After accessories and media, the prices are comparable. Each have similar media capabilities such as music and movies.

One aspect I am concerned with is the ability to hold my attention over many sessions of poker. I think I would have to give the edge to the PSP because of the large number of games available. iPod games are limited, although iTunes does have Scrubs episodes. A season would cost a little bit more than a PSP game and would give 8 hours of entertainment, less than a video game.

I haven't done much research on the Nintendo DS but some pros are the price and Final Fantasy 3 and cons are that it doesn't play music and I haven't found a way to extend the battery life of the DS to last for a long session of poker, 8+ hours.

Which one would you rather have? Maybe you own one and would like to discuss its pros and cons.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: 80GB iPod, PSP, or DS for B&M\'s?

Sort of depends on how you want to use it. I can't imagine playing without music, so the iPod is a no-brainer there. Also the iPod - whether you're listening to music or watching a movie - is passive, so you'll get your entertainment without distracting too much. With a video game system you'll be more engaged in the game and focus less on your poker game.

I think it all comes down to how bad your ADD really is. If you can get by with listening to music and occasionally watching videos, iPod is definitely it. If you're hardcore and have to have some wild action while you're not playing, go for a portable game system.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:50 PM

I really can't see myself busting out the DS at the poker table. Same with PSP.

Ipod all the way.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 PM

It sounds like you're looking for games, and for that you should definitely by a DS way before either of your other options. You can buy a media player to get your DS to play music, and the battery life wont be a problem as long as you don't play it on the brightest setting. You would have a much bigger problem with battery life if you bought an ipod or PSP.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM

60 GB Creative Zen Vision M
Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 AM

DS has better games than the PSP. And PSP if you really want to watch movies. Gaming quality is much better on DS, more games and better games for the most part in almost every genre. I really don't see how the answer can't be ipod at a poker table though. I don't see how it could be profitable to play a videgame system session through session, at least with the Ipod you can stay somewhat focused on the other players while having an audio distraction for the ADD in you.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 AM

I think you should get an iPod for this particular situation, and I don't think it's a very close decision. However the DS is quite awesome, and has more utility outside the poker room, so getting one wouldn't be a mistake. If you took it to the poker room you can change the light settings on it and the lowest level lasts reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllly long.