Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Statement from the Big10 re: recruiting article

I thought this was pretty interesting:

Big 10 Statement
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Statement from the Big10 re: recruiting article

I've seen this mentioned on a number of blogs and message boards. Basically, some truth, and a lot of catiness. Bringing academics into a sports argument is a sure sign you suck. I'm willing to accept that there may be slightly higher standards for the B10 than the SEC, but c'mon, we're all letting in less-than-stellar students because they bring in revenue, so don't throw stones.

I understand where he's coming from: everyone went way overboard based on the results of 1 game, and it is nice to remind people that the Big Ten did in fact go 2-1 against the SEC, it's not like their last place team was running circles around our best or anything. He's trying to fight the "Big Ten is slow and dumb" standard story line (for my thoughts, basically just read what MGOBLOG has written in the past on it; I'm right there with him). Fair enough, but this probably isn't what he needs to be doing. He could go out and hire competent basketball officials, for example.

Getting into the substance, the SEC is strong now. They have some natural advantages (better talent in the area, more desireable place to live wrt weather and girls), so it isn't surprising. But OTOH these things come and go, and it's too easy to look at the last year or three and just assume that "The SEC is the best, they always have been, always will be" when that isn't necessarily how things work.

On a side note, I'd like to thank Ohio State for contributing to the idea that the SEC owns the Big Ten. Two teams basically account for the bulk of our conference losses to them. One is Indiana, whom you can't blame, cuz they're a cupcake. But Ohio State has an atrocious record. For once, we're the guys doing our part.

Edit: By "these things come and go", obviously not their natural advantages so much. But conference strength tends to change over time. 98/99, the Big Ten went 10-2 in bowls had a plethora of Top Ten teams, for example. It comes and goes.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:
SEC -- so easy, even a Caveman can get a football scholarship.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 PM

damaniac- good post. What's your team?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- good post. What's your team?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't tell from the hatred of Ohio State? Michigan.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:
SEC -- so easy, even a Caveman can get a football scholarship.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is actually true
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM

ugh...great until the last paragraph

no one wants to hear the academic stuff--trust me
As an Illinois bball fan, I can tell you of a handful of impact players that the Illini have had to back off of due to academic issues--Jeremy Pargo, Hannah, Justin Dentmon, Brandon Rush, etc. No one wants to hear it.

the bullet points were great for examining the neck-and-neck parity of the 2 conferences

One recruiting class does not change everything (as much as I'd like to believe it does as an Illinois fan)

Big10 has always had stronger academic qualifications. They worked with them in years past. No reason they still cannot do so today.