Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Yet another \"Help me buy a laptop\" thread. Sorry :)

Okay. So here's what I really need it for: playing poker, and watching movies. In regards to playing poker, that's where my only requirements come in. I need a resolution of 1600x1200, or as close to it as possible. 1680x1050 would be fine, for example, as there would only be slight overlap.

I've did a fair amount of googling, and I read a lot of good about the Inspiron 6400. From looking at the usual places I visit(NCIX etc), it looks like I might be best to go through Dell for customization. So I went ahead and picked everything for the Inspiron 6400, and came out at a price of about $1300, going the cheapest route possible(worst processor available/1GB Ram/OS is XP). I am sure I could shop around and get something a couple of hundred cheaper than that, but I think if I'm spending that amount, I might as well go for the Core 2 Processor, Vista & 2 GB ram upgrades, for about $400 more. Who knows how much I will use it, but I would be kicking myself buying a $1300 machine, when for $1700 I can get a lot better machine.

Of course before buying, I want to make sure I am not missing out. Is there a place for us Canadians I should be ordering from besides Dell, or at least looking at? What is the best warranty recommendation for Dell?

Also I have spoken to 6 Dell CS reps in the last few days, and am confused. What LCD Display should I upgrade to?

15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™

Also, should I be waiting for a sale at Dell or anything like that? Should I be trying to find coupon codes that apply? Should I order online or call(assuming I go through Dell) in the hope I can get a better deal? Any shopping tips would be helpful.

Sorry if I have missed any details that will help in this process - just ask and I will confirm! Thank you so much in advance.