Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 PM

Default 1/2 Live - Should I slowplay this boat when 2 opponents show strength

BB and UTG are donks. Btn plays fairly well, mostly tag, but sometimes mixes it up. He's not a calling station, and I think he can hand read to some degree.

$1/$2 NL ring game (10 players)

Approx. Stacks:
BB: $80
UTG: $120
Hero: $220
Btn: covers

Hero is in Hijack with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG limps, 2 limps, hero limps, button limps, SB completes, BB raises to $5, all limpers call.

Flop($35): 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $17, 2 folds, hero calls, BB raises to $66, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, hero pushes for about $140.

I figure his range is 55, an eight or combo draw like 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Should I slowplay this some more, or is moving in the best play? Flat calling, and then checking a turn gives him 2 free cards to draw out if he has A8/89/T8s or something similar, since he'll probably not bet the turn unless he has top kicker or fills up.

Edit: Whoops wrong forum, could a mod please move it to SSNL?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Live - Should I slowplay this boat when 2 opponents show stren

*bump*
Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 AM

The push is good i think.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM

Is there a typo here, or does BB only have $9 behind after his CR? Assuming it is, flip a coin, because the money is probably going in either way. I'd say he either has an overpair, or 2 overs + FD. If you assume he has an 8, he's still drawing to just 3 outs. That puts you in pretty good shape. Personally, i'd call and get it in on the turn.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 AM

not much of a question here. BB isnt folding no matter what after his raise and neither are you, so get it in whenever.

and i think BB has an overpair much more often than an 8 or 55.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Whoops, it was Button who raises to $66, and BB folds. Button covers hero.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 AM

stil the same thing.
hes not folding for only $70 more so might as well get it in now and forget about it
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hes not folding for only $70 more so might as well get it in now and forget about it

[/ QUOTE ]
It's actually $140 more, since I had $220 to begin with. Sorry I mistyped it in the original post. (Still, it's only a pot-sized raise)

But that was my problem. He folded, and showed 89o. Seems that big all-ins get called way less in live games than online. However big raises preflop (in relation to the pot, not the amount of money) get called way more.

I was just wondering if there would have been any good way to slowplay this. Smooth-calling on the flop and then checking would probably not work because if he's weak enough to fold an 8 to a push, he's not betting the turn. And then he gets 2 free cards to fill up. Smooth-calling and then betting half pot on the turn might work, but I'm not sure. Min-raising is also a possibility. I see a lot of min-raises in this game, but never use them myself.

Oh well, just being results oriented. But I do find that many plays that are pretty automatic for online poker don't work in live poker. Ande vice versa. It's a very different game.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 AM

I like a raise right after UTG's bet, usually. People at 200NL rarely believe you'd show strength right away with an 8, then you might be able to get all-in with BTN right on the flop.

As played, I probably call BTN's raise, and push the turn. I don't think pushing the flop like you did is bad though.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise right after UTG's bet

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise because I wanted to give a flushdraw a chance to hit and then stack'em. I figured an 8 would raise behind anyways and there's only 1 left in the deck, so I don't think I'm losing any value by slowplaying this initially.

The shove was definitely not a bad move, I'm just wondering, since this is a live game where you can have very good reads, if I could have extracted more value with a more unorthodox line.

This game usually plays really lose for any bets except for all-ins. People want to play 1/2 blinds (they think 0.5/1 is for kiddies) but they'll only buy in for 50-100 bucks. It's very annoying. It's mostly the better players that buy in full.

My read on this player was that he would not call me without 55, A8 and maybe K8 or a straight-flush draw. So maybe calling the flop and then donking the turn for half a pot is more valuable vs. a player who's not comfortable playing for deep stacks, but might have a hard time letting trips go for smaller bets.