Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Default For an advance beginner

My dad loves playing poker, but he can easily lose around 400-800 dollars in a night playing poker and have fun. I always tell him, imagine how much fun you would have if you won 400-800 dollars. lol, he doesn't really have a desire to get better, he just plays homegames. but i just want him to get a feel of how it feels to win. I am a winning player and have read tons of books, I keep telling him to read them, but they are too complex i think. Mostly skalansky books and harrington books. Are there any books for beginners that aren't too newbish or get too complicated. Which books are good for them. I was thinking the Holdem for Dummies, but i think that might be too newbish. Not sure though, I haven't read it. You think super systems would be too complicated for him or no?

THanks for your help
Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Re: For an advance beginner

zomg hu $500 freezeout take the fish's money or play for deletion of chores either way introduce him to the concept of shipitplz.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 PM

lol
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM

What's the address of his home game?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:21 PM

I'd consider Phil Gordon's Little Green Book.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't really have a desire to get better

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go. Given this, it probably doesn't matter what you put in front of him. You can't force someone to read anything or to get better. No matter how well intentioned.

I don't think the books are too complex for him. I think it's more the quote above.

b
Old 02-12-2007, 04:03 AM

I'm assuming that he's playing no-limit cash games. If that's the case there's not currently a lot of information out there. Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker would probably be my only suggestion. It reads more like a collection of 3 to 4 page essays. He should have no problem with understanding it and should also have much to gain by reading it.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM

Actually there are some fairly simple concepts that he could put into practice from Largay's book. Such as "who is more likely to go broke in this hand, me or my opponent?" And checking stack sizes before gambling on certain hands (there is no sense in calling raises with suited connectors if either you or your opponent has a short stack.) Also, there is help in there in first identifying different player styles, and then playing differently against them.

But if he just likes to play a good number of hands and call down to see if he got bluffed out, no amount of reading will really help (and no amount of reading will probably occur either).