Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Banks.

For the past year or so, I have been having issues with my banks. Not anything to do with my financial situation, but in regards to customer support/dis-satisfaction towards them and the way they have been handling my business. In no ways do I have a high volume of money with them, but they still should be catering to my situation. I have been with this bank all my life, and it is a local credit union.

I am seriously considering switching banks because of the latest things that have been happening. It's a lot of little things that have led to my decision, and it's more frustrating than anything.

Recommend me a good bank please.

Washingon Mutual?
TCF Bank?
Bank of America?
Citibank?
Other?

I would guess that one bank outweighs the others in different categories, so I would have to further research what would be the best fit. But, I would like to get some feedback from people and their different banks to make this process a little easier.

FWIW, I am in the NW Chicago area (contemplating a move to Arizona within the next 6-9 months), so I would be looking for something that has a large coverage area in the United States.

Mods, if this would be better suited in the Finance & Investing board, please feel free to move. I know it will get more coverage in OOT.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Banks.

You need to give me some more info regarding what the problems you are experiencing are. I managed for TCF for about 3 years before leaving, and I'll tell you right now
1. THey are not in Arizona
2. ANy customer service issues you are having with your Credit Union, are not gonna get better at TCF, esp. TCF Illinois which is notorious in the TCF family for the worst customer service in the company.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:40 PM

WAMU is pretty good for you're average consumer. If you are super baller status and have tons of cash... citibank really kisses azz to it's wealthy clients.

I use a local credit union... best service around.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 PM

I don't have a WAMU acct/ but one of my old roommates did and it was pretty good. Free checking + no ATM fees. Being able to withdraw money anywhere without coughing up anywhere from $1.00 - $2.5 is pretty good.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a WAMU acct/ but one of my old roommates did and it was pretty good. Free checking + no ATM fees. Being able to withdraw money anywhere without coughing up anywhere from $1.00 - $2.5 is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if you sign up for WAMU online, you get a 5% savings account for free that you can transfer money in and out of as you please.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM

deadbody,

a few of my issues:

- Issuing and renewing debit cards, and the waiting game between my request, and actually getting the card & pin number.
- Hours of operation
- ATM Fees (they only have *1* location where I don't get charged a fee), and it's a walk-up.

Your information regarding TCF though, has pretty much already scared me off of them. I already kinda thought they were shady to begin with.

BB,

I had/have been considering WAMU. I had always been under the impression that credit unions do have the "best service around." This is also a reason that I have been with them for as long as I have, I also thought that staying with them would make it easier than having to move banks every X amount of time. Although, I am not quite feeling that at this time about them (and I'm going to be making a transfer of a trust fund to them in the near future -- so, you would think that I want to be feeling better about them handling my monies).
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Bank of America - if you are dissatified with service now, the BOA will make you wish you never left. Hahahaha. People who really want to suck at customer service go to BOA to study their methods.

I have always found the best service with the small regional or local banks (not credit union).

Forget about the big national/global banks, they are interested in the 500 million dollar commercial loans and stuff, they could care less about Joe Schlub and his checking account.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if you sign up for WAMU online, you get a 5% savings account for free that you can transfer money in and out of as you please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it always 5%? As in, it never changes when you move money in/out?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM

I've used 3 banks: national city, chase/bankone, and bank of america.

National city I got while I was at school...no problems, but a small bank.

When I moved to Colorado, I decided to go with Chase/Bankone since they are like the 2nd biggest bank in the country, and figured I wouldn't have to change banks again.

WRONG. Now I'm in DC, and apparently they don't have them here. So, I went with Bank of America, which is pretty much everywhere.

I've never really dealt with customer service issues because I just keep regular checking accounts and don't do anything fancy. However, I must say that Chase was by far the friendliest whenever I did call in for anything.

You may also want to consider a money-market type account to get higher rates. I just setup an HSBC account which is 6% for a few months, then back to like 5%.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Any bank but Bank of America, they are without a doubt the worst of the worst