Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Default OT: first live tourney today - advice?

Itīs not really a STT (42 participants max), but since I am an STTFer I thought I might ask here anyway.

Starting chips t3000, 20min blinds levels:
20/40
40/80
100/200
200/400
400/800
1000/2000 etc.

Top 4 paid: 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%

I donīt think stdrd tight early, push late strategy works here. How should I adjust? Just post here quickly, I am leaving in 1 hour.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: OT: first live tourney today - advice?

in a live mtt i tend to play a lot more freely/like a maniac than i do online. youre more likely to meet worse players than any type of the "tight multi tablers" (for obviousle reasons) and they probably suck. you have enough of a stack to get involved early and the blinds dont last that long, id take most any edge i could find early and pwn everyone for their chips. gl. dont be afraid to play pots early!

sorry for generic advice, just wanted to stress playing a little deeper outside the realm of SNG play.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I donīt think stdrd tight early, push late strategy works here. How should I adjust? Just post here quickly, I am leaving in 1 hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? I think this is a perfect strategy! once blinds get to 200/400 you'll start to realize just how badly peple play shortstacks. But I'm curious to know why you think you should change your play? My strategy would precisely be tight nit until 100/200, open up a little, and then really open up at 200/400. Just keep track of your opponents' stack sizes and play them accordingly. Try and figure out who is trying to make FT if you get to the FT bubble and pwn their blinds. If you make the FT you might have to make some adjustments based on your stack, but with 9 playrs left the average stack will be 7BB (assuming 42 entrants), and 12bb at the money bubble.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a perfect strategy! once blinds get to 200/400 you'll start to realize just how badly peple play shortstacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....and you'll be one. Unless you want to coin-flip your way through the last half or three-quarters of the field I suggest you feel a little more free to mix it up early. Blinds are going to eat you alive, otherwise. I'm playing this more aggro (a la MTT style.) Expect to see lots of people limping into lots of flops early. Position will therefore be even more important than normal. Hope your post-flop play is shiny and fresh because that's where you'll win it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a perfect strategy! once blinds get to 200/400 you'll start to realize just how badly peple play shortstacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....and you'll be one. Unless you want to coin-flip your way through the last half or three-quarters of the field I suggest you feel a little more free to mix it up early. Blinds are going to eat you alive, otherwise. I'm playing this more aggro (a la MTT style.) Expect to see lots of people limping into lots of flops early. Position will therefore be even more important than normal. Hope your post-flop play is shiny and fresh because that's where you'll win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking sng style tight, this is a MTT, so MTT style tight. Obv limp PPs any position and other suited stuff/big cards in position. However, you still aren't going to have much room to outplay people postflop after the first two levels. At that point a pfr and a c-bet will pretty much commit you to the pot. 20 minute levels are super fast so unless you hit a hot deck in the first hour your not going to be getting many playable hands anyway. You'll be lucky to see 35 hands before 200/400.

The only time you'll get a chance to really pwn your opponents post-flop is going to be ITM, which is moot unless you understand that the nature of this this structure requires pushbotting your way there.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM

One Word = <font color="red">COCKTAILS</font> [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]