Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Default NL50 c-bet: out of position

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($51.75)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($44.80)
MP ($26.25)
Button ($48.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, MP calls $2.

Flop: ($5.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, MP calls $3.50.

Turn: ($12.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $8</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $20.25

My problem here is that this happens awfully often...I am out of position and try to c-bet but my opponenets keep calling/raising me on position. What should I do in this kind of situations? I have learnead that almost always is right to c-bet if has token lead in the hand pf.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Re: NL50 c-bet: out of position

This is fairly standard. Maybe c-bet a tad more.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Standard, I'd prefer $4.50 on flop though. If he constantly calls your c-bets, just make a note.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fairly standard. Maybe c-bet a tad more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is fairly standard. Definitely c-bet a tad more.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like 80% PSB cont. bets are the only way to get these fuckos to fold, not play back. Sometimes you can bet a little less to throw them off, get cheap draws against passives, but mostly, 80% is what I like.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM

so c-bets out ouf positioin arenīt bad play? It just seems that always when I make a c-bet somebody calls or raises
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Nah, cbets out of position are fine, you should have a hand a little more often, but this happens naturaly if you select your out of position raising hands a lot tighter than your in position ones.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, cbets out of position are fine, you should have a hand a little more often, but this happens naturaly if you select your out of position raising hands a lot tighter than your in position ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice point. Try raising a few times UTG or UTG+1 with some connectors, it may help you get into a better flow at some tables and pick up more c-bets un-challenged.

I think there are a lot of excellent articles about c-betting in thread stickies, I need to read them more as well.

My humble take:

The other thing is that you should always be analyzing your boards when c-betting. For instance, when a player who has a fairly tight opening range but who loves to call with Q(10+) and other hands of that ilk, I have 77, and the flop comes out 9 J Q, I'm will check more often than not. OTOH, if I had checked a low board once or twice against opponent's who are reasonably capable of folding, and then I raise with J9, get TWO OOP callers, and the flop comes out 2 5 8, for instance, if it's checked to me, I'm firing away, perhaps even twice if I get one call.

So, really, it all DEPENDS. I like making c-betting 80% the pot my standard, but I try to be willing to adjust it (mind you, not eliminate it) if the table is disrespecting me / board texture / opponent and his position.

As I said, betting closer to pot could help too. It's like, I feel that so many players say "well, if it's 1/2, he has nothing, but if he PSBs, he must have something."

Barry.