Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 AM

Default I am amazed at how much $$$ sportscasters/anchors make.

I had always thought that cable sportscasters and anchors (as well as small-market sports people) didn't make very much money.

In fact, if I was to have guessed what someone like Kelly Tilghman of the TheGolfChannel makes, I'd probably say 100-125K. So, I was quite suprised to read in the Nov 2006 issue of Golf Digest that Kelly Tilghman makes $375K a year, that Kraig Kahn makes $315K a year.

This got me to thinking, what about Value Over Replacement Anchor. Are these people that key to the station to be pulling in that kind of $$?

The same article said Jim Nantz of CBS makes $4,375,000 a year. I would have guessed like 500-750K.

Anyone have any thoughts on these salaries, or have any info on what other sports media people make a year?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: I am amazed at how much $$$ sportscasters/anchors make.

More surprised about those Golf broadcasters salaries than Jim Nantz's.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:06 AM

I'm more amazed at how much officials make. They make all this money while I only hear everyone talk about how horrible they are at their jobs at every sporting event I attend.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:10 AM

I figured Jim Nantz made something like that, $5M, yeah. People can bitch, and I don't really like him, but the guy is good.
The golf channel salaries are a surprise. I mean, certainly they could find a replacement level guy for $100K. What do local TV anchors make?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More surprised about those Golf broadcasters salaries than Jim Nantz's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more amazed at how much officials make. They make all this money while I only hear everyone talk about how horrible they are at their jobs at every sporting event I attend.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 AM

LOL VOBARF
Old 02-03-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

well to be fair there is a massive amount of selective memory going on, they never get any credit for a correct call, or a well-officiated game, but miss 2calls out of 6000 and OMG officials are terrible
Old 02-03-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Officiating on the professional level is probably one of the hardest jobs out there. Especially when you start thinking about value over replacement.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 PM

I was a local sports guy for 5 years and I didn't make any money.

I made $18K at my first job in a tiny market in Colorado, and I was making $35K plus OT when I left my last job in a mid-sized market (54th largest TV market).

The sports director at my last station (mkt 54) had been there 12 years and he was making about $85-90K. I think the sports directors in midsized markets might get over $100K if they stay at one station for 20+ years, but that's pretty rare.

There is no "good" money for sports guys until they get to the top 10 (Houston, Philly, esp. NYC, LA, Chicago) and the networks. Then it goes up really really fast.

Tilghman and Nantz are both network anchors, and that's where the money is insane. Nantz has been at CBS, what, 20 years? That's why he's making so much. The Golf Channel is not CBS but it's still a national network.

Madden makes $8MM (I heard) for being a babbling idiot on MNF 16 days a year.

I would say that fewer than 5% of sports TV people ever make more than $50K a year.

When guys first go to ESPN and they start on ESPNews they're making about $45K. Berman makes a lot and a couple of the other main ESPN guys do too, but most of the ESPN guys don't even make all that much because they have so many guys who want to work there.