Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Exercise and weight loss suggestions

Some background:

Currently, I'm 24 years old, male, 5'11", medium frame, 205 lbs, 38in waist.

I work a desk job, and most of my current hobbies aren't physical. For a few years I was into various rythm games (DDR and Pump it up), and that helped me keep off weight for awhile. I've since laid off of that routine and gained nearly 40 lbs in about a year from eating restaurant portioned meals and junk food.

I feel a bit guilty about it, since I'm a good cook. I now make most of my meals at home, and they are mostly southeast asian style stir frys, curries and soups.

Anyhow, I started my new routine about 3 weeks ago. This is the basic info:

Goal: 165-170lbs, and decently toned muscles.

Diet: 1900 calorie daily limit. This is the only type of diet limitation I'm willing to take besides giving up soda. I'd rather be overweight than give up the ability to eat any type of food I want to try.

Workout days I drink a Whey protein shake which figures into my daily cal total. I also have a treat day once a week where I relax the limit to 3000 calories to accomodate a restaurant meal + drinks ( alcohol ).

Exercise routine: 3 days per week ( One day off until the third, then two days off ). I'm doing basic core weight training; bench press, curls, rows. I'm not being as detailed about the weight training since I'm not wanting size as much as tone.

For aerobics; Step machine, treadmill, bycicle, and indoor jog.

Basic gymtime schedule:
5 min stretching
10 min aerobic warmup
10 min lifting
10 min aerobic high intensity
10 min lifting
10 min bag work w/14oz gloves
5 min cooldown/stretch

Same basic schedule for each gym day with variations on areas worked for lifting.

From what info I've found, with my body type and activity level, I should be burning about 2700 cals a day, and 300-400 extra on gym days.

I came up with the 1900 cal a day limit + one treat day of 3000 to give me roughly a 6000 calorie defecit for each week. This should give me a net loss of almost 2lbs each week, which is the upper limit of healthy weight loss as far as I know.

So any comments? Suggestions?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Exercise and weight loss suggestions

That looks good. Work in some high-intensity aerobics for better effect, and do squats/deadlifts and other exercises that work your whole body for a better workout (that doesn't mean you'll pack on muscle - you'll just get a better workout, period). Make sure you're eating 5-6 small meals per day, rather than 2-3 large ones, and stick to a 1900-2000 kcal/day diet that is low in fat and high in protein.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about accounting for the whey protein shake during your workout days. The increased activity level on your workout days will burn off whatever caloric increase the shake will have on your diet for the day.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Read the other 40 threads.

Your metabolism will slow as you cut cals and lose weight. Just remember to adjust your diet to fit your needs as time goes by. Soda is the worst thing ever when losing weight.

Separate your lifting/aerobic workouts. You are messing up them both up.

Do more big kid lifts with more weight. I promise you won't get too big. You might even stop being skinny fat.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM

2lbs a week seems very optimistic, chances are if you are burning this much you will be buring too much muscle mass slowing your metabolism and reducing your ability to burn fat.
your body burns an extra 50-100 calories per pound of muscle you have, so build muscle.
you appear to be an "easy gainer" so make sure you make use of this fact and include squats and dead lifts. squats and deadlifts and bench pressing should be your main exercises, these are compound movements which increase various hormones such as HGH which is benificial.
oat meal, eat it every morning.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exercise and weight loss suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you workout with Poodle Girl
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm just going by numbers and theory for now, so 2lbs is the ideal according to the data. Whatever actually happens, I'm not so sure about.

What does the oatmeal do? I'm not a fan of oatmeal at all, but if it's a big help I'll include it.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:06 PM

thremp, good post.

i usually drink 2 diet sodas a day. the fact that theyre diet, how much does this negatively impact me? could i conceivably drink a 6 pack of the stuff or should i just cut it out altogether?

i dont drink coffee (hate the stuff) and i need some caffeine in the morning but depending on the impact of the diet soda, will cut it out.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp, good post.

i usually drink 2 diet sodas a day. the fact that there diet, how much does this negatively impact me? could i conceivably drink a 6 pack of the stuff or should i just cut it out altogether?

i dont drink coffee (hate the stuff) and i need some caffeine in the morning but depending on the impact of the diet soda, will cut it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its just empty liquid with some negative things in it. Its not a huge deal. But if you're trying something super ambitious like this guy you'd obviously have to go much farther than he is.

For example: I'm currently trying to gain weight. I drink soda. Obviously, when I'm losing weight I'm going to cut it out, but the diet is pretty meh. I think diet soda tastes like ass. But unless you really wanna take on some huge physical goal or suck down a small countries worth. I wouldn't sweat it day to day.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you workout with Poodle Girl

[/ QUOTE ]
The ability of the japanese to be insanely weird never ceases to amaze me.