Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Default MTT keyhands question

Not sure if i should post this on the B&M as it was a live tournament. still:

i usually do well in live tournaments, as i don't get as impacient as online, and yesterday i busted out really quick on two keyhands (having just played 3)

I got a nice chiplead with a KK hand, doubling my initial stack on the first level of blinds, and then i couldnt get any decent hand until i got KQ diamonds on MP.

i had 7600 chips, BigBlind was 150, i opened for 450, 2 callers.

Board - K 10 3, 1 diamond. i bet 750, button folds, BB makes it 1500, i call. Turn is the A diamonds, giving me a gutshot straight and flush draw too. i check and he moves in, i fold. He shows me the nuts, QJ.

i could have won the hand shoving the flop after the raise, but is that correct?

after a couple of orbits not playing a hand, i am in the BB with 66 and 4.000 chips

early position raises to 900, button calls, i call the extra 600. flop comes 789, i chekc to the original raisor, he bets out 1.000 to a 2.000 pot, one fold, i move in, he calls me with A9.

So i didnt put him on A9, as he was beeing fairly tight. I coulndt just call there, bad timing there as i didnt put him on top pair top kicker, or even close.

how do you think this hand is played? am i already in a shove or fold situation pre-flop? should i have bet out on the flop?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: MTT keyhands question

Hand #01: You played fine, you could conceivably have folded after the flop raise but I don't mind calling here ... good things could happen on the turn. Pushing other the top with top pair second kicker here would be a losing proposition.

Hand #02: You don't have enough chips to play for set value, and you're facing an EP raise. Fold preflop. As it came down I either open-push the flop, or check/fold. Probably the latter, since you're far from desperate.