Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Short handed and double stack

I posted a similar question to the MTT forum (sorry for repost) and got a good response about restealing that i'll have to learn to add to my game but i'm hoping I can get some additional general thoughts about how starting chip stacks and blind structures might affect how you play a tournament. Or does it matter? Do you play all MTTs the same? (starting hands, etc). Is it conceptually as 'simple' as restealing more or do i need to consider opening my hand selection hoping to hit something early... or the opposite... be more patient and wait to make my moves once there's more money starting in the pot?

I'm just starting out and found a pub poker weekly tournament a month ago. Its structure seems to be quite a bit different than what i've played online. I have been rereading HOH2 and, for now, i'm trying to play as Harrington teaches in the series.

Anyway, It's a 50 player max on 6 tables. Not usually full... often start with 7 per table. After first round we're usually playing 6 max until multiple tables reduce to 5 players each. We start with 5k in chips. Blinds go up every 15 minutes and start at 25/50. then 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 400/800, 500/1000, 1000/2000...

Since it's basically free to play there's a big mix of players but for the most part people take it seriously. Generally tighter (after first round at least) than most of the low buyin's i've tried on FT.

Compared to these (1500 stack, 10 minute blinds starting at 15/30) how does this structure affect play? While I haven't placed in the money it seems like I make it alot farther online. Live, even though stacks start bigger, the blinds seem to catch up quickly if you haven't doubled up.

I've busted out in the same round (400/800, roughly 24 people left) 4 weeks in a row so while this isn't a long run by any means it seems that my natural pace doesn't work there.

Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.