Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Writing your Congressmen thread

I have written my congressmen several times.

I know by research there is a proper way to wtire your letter so that it's gets more attention.

I would like to start a thread with letters that we can copy and paste to send to our congressmen.

And any other suggestion on writing our congressmen since most of us are probably new to this.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Writing your Congressmen thread

The best way to get attention is not to cut and paste a forum letter.

Draft something personal, it doesn't have to be fancy
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Writing your Congressman is one of the easiest ways to get your voice heard, even if it is just a tic mark on a tally sheet under "For Poker."

Handwritten letters will get more attention than an email. However, emailing is SO easy we ALL should be doing it DAILY!!!

We need to be like a swarm of annoying mosquitos with our emails.

Don't forget to write your local newspaper. If your opinion letter gets the attention of a journalist, maybe he will write something that gets printed.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:25 AM

Dear congressman/senator,

I am voting against you in the coming election, and every election thereafter, until I can play online poker free from all governmental harassment.

I don't care who your opponent is, what their other views are, or even if he or she is also adamantly against online poker. All you need to know is that I am voting AGAINST YOU , ALWAYS, until you are gone or this matter is resolved to my satisfaction.

Your most aggrieved constituent,

xxxxxxx

Snail mail works best, but e-mail is good too.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am voting against you in the coming election, and every election thereafter, until I can play online poker free from all governmental harassment.

I don't care who your opponent is, what their other views are, or even if he or she is also adamantly against online poker. All you need to know is that I am voting AGAINST YOU , ALWAYS, until you are gone or this matter is resolved to my satisfaction.

xxxxxxx

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you are looking for something a little less antagonistic... use this form:

http://capwiz.com/pokerplayersallian...11&type=CO
Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM

OK, try this hybrid version.

[ QUOTE ]

I am a voter. I am a poker player. And, I am mad.

Under your watch, Congress passed legislation that prohibits me from playing the great game of poker on the Internet. Legislation that impacts millions of online poker players in the United States like me, deserves more debate than Bill Frist's scurvy, underhanded, illegimitate back-room deal. Today, you have an opportunity to correct this injustice.

Poker is a great American game with deep roots in this country. Throughout history presidents, generals, members of Congress, Supreme Court justices and average citizens have enjoyed poker with family and friends. Also, unlike other forms of gambling, poker is a skill game where performance is merited, and a community game, where the “house” is not your competition. These are real and significant differences. Simply putting the word “Internet” in front of poker does not change the qualities of the game and it should not make the people who play it suspect.

I am urging you to support amending this new Internet gambling law so that it has a “skill game exemption” for poker. Please note, that other forms of Internet gambling, such as horseracing, lotteries and fantasy sports are already protected under this law. A skill exemption for poker is not unreasonable, and the hypocrisy of allowing these and not allowing the great American game of poker is astounding. It is good public policy and would help preserve and protect an American tradition.

I look forward to your support for a poker exemption. Again, I am a voter and I remember.

Should you choose to ignore my views please be advised that the following will transpire.

I will vote against you in the coming election, and every election thereafter, until I can play online poker free from all governmental harassment.

I don't care who your opponent is, what their other views are, or even if he or she is also adamantly against online poker. All you need to know is, that if you ignore my wishes in this matter of the great game of poker, that I am voting AGAINST YOU , ALWAYS,and I will move heaven and earth to see that others vote against you too, until you are gone.

xxxxxxx

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone on 2+2 doesn't get on the ball and become activist in this matter, then you all don't deserve online poker anyway.

Phone calls, email and snail mail, and lots of it, are what is going to get us on the path to a suitable resolution.

Tuff