Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Live 2/4 & 3/6: Let\'s hear it

So the rake & tips at live low limit HE tables really take a beating out of your roll, but just wondering if there any players here who regularly just play at this limit all the time and do well all the time? I know most all tables live at this limit are filled with bad players, but are there some of you here who make it a point to hunt down the ridiculously bad tables and exploit them to the fullest? Waste of money and time? Just curious
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Live 2/4 & 3/6: Let\'s hear it

"Waste of money and time?"

-Yes. They arent really beatable games. The rake + tips are too high. I think 4/8 is the lowest beatable limit and only at places that rake very low (MGM 4/8 comes to mind)
Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Please define "do well." And I'll call pre-emptive BS on anyone who says they do well "all the time."

I play these levels and add 3/6 full kill O/8 and 1/2NL. Since New Years weekend biggest win $340 - biggest loss - $145. Total up $500+ @ about .66BB/hr. And I don't pretend to be the best player. YMMV.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM

I'd rather beat my head against the wall than play in that fiasco known as a 3/6 limit game.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM

2.5BB/hr since early Dec.

They are extremely beatable. For not much money.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM

Jack: Would you and fishyak care to espouse how you are having success? I'm seriously considering "almost" quitting - to only playing once in awhile. I can't seem to beat 3/6 at the local card room. Now mind you it's not Vegas - so the average make-up of the game is 3 - 4 TAPs, couple of LAGs, me and maybe 1 or 2 people who are truly clueless. I fully admit I've got some learning to do (don't we all) and am prepared to work on my game to get to that level. But am stuck as to where to start. I've read and studied and applied most all the books (incl. Miller's). While not expert, I am a student of the game, like to play and believe I am probably one of the most knowledgeable people at the table. Heck, even the dealers comment that I'm one of the best that plays there - but I can't beat this game. Bottom line is I can't continue to let it eat into my paycheque to the extent it is. any advice comment would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 PM

I assume you read Lee Jones book. Most of those tactics work well at the 4/8 limit table in my experience. 3/6 has a lot more questionable play, and I don't think anybody could ever convince me to sit down at a 2/4 game again. 4/8 seems to be the right neighborhood for the robotic tactics of low limit, and you can think more in regards of the books by Miller and Sklansky when the kill comes on (if your table has it).

S.B.T.C [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 PM

If you follow Lee Jones' low limit book, table selection is key. Look for the table that has 7 people seeing the flop even with UTG raising. Find yourself seated at the WSOP final table where there's only 2-3 seeing the flop? get the table change. Are you going to make a living? no I don't think so. Even if you could pull off 4BB/hr. you're not going to find 40 hours worth of play time a week. Games like this I would imagine are only weekends and probably not during the slow periods. So, I believe you can easily beat the rake, the tips, and the drinks and even the cab fare for the pure x/BB rate and you might even have fun at it... but that's what the game is all about anyway.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack: Would you and fishyak care to espouse how you are having success? I'm seriously considering "almost" quitting - to only playing once in awhile. I can't seem to beat 3/6 at the local card room. Now mind you it's not Vegas - so the average make-up of the game is 3 - 4 TAPs, couple of LAGs, me and maybe 1 or 2 people who are truly clueless. I fully admit I've got some learning to do (don't we all) and am prepared to work on my game to get to that level. But am stuck as to where to start. I've read and studied and applied most all the books (incl. Miller's). While not expert, I am a student of the game, like to play and believe I am probably one of the most knowledgeable people at the table. Heck, even the dealers comment that I'm one of the best that plays there - but I can't beat this game. Bottom line is I can't continue to let it eat into my paycheque to the extent it is. any advice comment would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly it's a philosophy. I try to win more with the hands they win with, and lose less with the hands they lose with. And fold a lot.

Don't take hands too far. Play position. Pump the pot with your good hands and don't pay them off.

More to it, but you're probably closer than you think. Saving a few bets here and there will put more in your pocket and much less in theirs.

CJ
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 AM

I'm quite convinced 2/4 and 3/6 are beatable (not including the ridiculously raked games). I play 3/6 because I enjoy poker. At some point I will either have made enough money playing 3/6 or saved enough money (specifically for Poker) from my real job that I'll move up.