Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Comforter purchasing help!

Alright, time to buy a new comforter. It's been a while since I bought one, and I don't really remember anything about that buying decision. I think maybe it sucked because it's sorta clumpy now and feels like it isn't as warm as it used to be, but maybe that's just in my mind, I dunno. Anyway, I can't risk it, so time for a new comforter.

How much should I pay? I want a decent comforter, but don't need the most luxurious thing in the world. I took a look at Bed Bath and Beyond today and it looked like they ranged from about $100 to $800 there. I got intimidated and left.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/styl...;ipp=1000&

I'm thinking maybe the Batiste Year Round? It's $450 for a Full/Queen and BB&B sends 20% off coupons non-stop, so that's really $360. Is that a good deal? Or are some of the cheaper ones gonna be just as good? Or is that one likely to suck?

I bet someone has gone through this process recently. Any tips? Someone must know about comforters!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Comforter purchasing help!

I'm sure much of the cost at BBB is vanity pricing. I bought a nice satin and velvet comforter at Walmart for like $80. Maybe they make better stuff, but I think this one is great.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM

King size duvet for a queen size bed is great and sometimes not much (or any) more expensive. Macy's or equivalent has nicer ones than BBB in my experience and when they go on sale can be good value. Plus they have the whole range out on display and you can squeeze them to see which one you like the feel of.

Macy's sale bins can hold ridiculous bargains - I got a super nice, heavy cotton CK cover for about $20-$30, reduced from >$300. That was unusual though.

Most importantly, Macy's sales chicks are hotter than BBB's. I think you could turn this into a sarging report...

(Ok, just checked link, BBB has some nice stuff too it seems. But I am sure they inflate their prices by around 20% - and remember: sales chicks are not as hot!)
Old 01-23-2007, 04:32 AM

This is the one I have. I got it for a gift a few months ago and honestly thought it was really expensive until just now.

Whatever, its really comfy and I love it.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:35 AM

Guys,

BB&B vanity pricing? WTF, BB&B is like a big warehouse store, the exact opposite of fancy! OK, maybe I'll have to go check out Macy's. Also note that I am sure there's a 20% off BB&B coupon sitting in my junk mail pile (and if there isn't there will be one next week).

The comforter I referred to is 370 thread count and 800 fill. WTF, IS THAT GOOD!?!?!?!!

I'm familiar w/ thread counts in sheets, not sure how much and why that really matters in a comforter, especially when I'll have a duvet cover on top of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 AM

ed,

Hmmm, that's about how much the COVERS for the comforters cost at BB&B.

Also, I think the big price difference is goose down vs. artificial.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 AM

My mom doesn't love me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think the big price difference is goose down vs. artificial.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an abundance of artificial geeses.

"How to you get down from a goose?"
"You don't, you get down from an elephant"
Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 AM

I've been very pleased with my down comforter from overstock.com. It has good fill power and is very soft -- there are no pointy bits of feather in them. It seems kind of counterintuitive, but it really does keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I paired the comforter up with a set of down pillows that accompany two normal polyester pillows I use for firmer support. I wrapped all of that in this duvet cover set that is soft enough for me.

Also bought this sheet set.

Verdict: I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Posting on OOT at 2AM may also be involved in my difficulties.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 AM

I have a $500 microsuede comforter from Bloomies and honestly I cant recommend it. The microsuede doesnt really breathe and I wake up really sweaty, even when it's 45 degrees in my room because my stupid house in LA doesn't have heat.