Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Exploring Outer Space

So last night after a long day of poker i'm sitting in bed thinking of all my [censored] plays when suddenly I start to thinking about Outerspace. Specifically, at first I began to wonder about black holes, which from what I understand do indeed exist. Why is it that we haven't made it an effort to explore these black holes and see what really is in them/on the other side/whatever. Besides that though, why is it that we don't just plain EXPLORE outer space and see what's out there...Is it just too dangerous? aren't there people more than willing to see what's out there for the good of mankind? I dont know about all of you, but it seems like looking for other life forms, possible planets we could inhabit, etc. are things we might be forced to do in the not so distant future so why wouldn't we start now?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Exploring Outer Space

[ QUOTE ]
So last night after a long day of smoking a lot of pot i'm sitting in bed thinking of all my [censored] plays when suddenly I start to thinking about Outerspace. Specifically, at first I began to wonder about black holes, which from what I understand do indeed exist. Why is it that we haven't made it an effort to explore these black holes and see what really is in them/on the other side/whatever. Besides that though, why is it that we don't just plain EXPLORE outer space and see what's out there...Is it just too dangerous? aren't there people more than willing to see what's out there for the good of mankind? I dont know about all of you, but it seems like looking for other life forms, possible planets we could inhabit, etc. are things we might be forced to do in the not so distant future so why wouldn't we start now?

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp
and secondly, NASA doesn't just fake moon landings anymore
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM

"not a downie after all" really?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 AM

space is very large, larger than you can imagine

as for blackholes, the idea of sending anything into one of them, and then somehow ever hearing anything from that thing again is laughable. nothing can escape a black hole not even light, so how would we ever know what was inside?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:41 AM

nt can i have a regular [censored] title please
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

as for blackholes, the idea of sending anything into one of them, and then somehow ever hearing anything from that thing again is laughable. nothing can escape a black hole not even light, so how would we ever know what was inside?

[/ QUOTE ]

attach a wire/cord of some sort to something/human and send it in? surely there are people who would try this.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

attach a wire/cord of some sort to something/human and send it in? surely there are people who would try this.

[/ QUOTE ]

the gravity is too strong man, i told you even light cannot escape. that means to get out you have to travel faster than light. so far we can't do that.

also the tidal forces would get you. the force of gravity gets stronger the closer you are to another mass. it goes up as distance squared, so if you half the distance the force goes up by a factor of 4. when you're talking about the massive gravity of a black hole you end up with a situation where tidal forces (the difference in force at your head and your feet) would basically rip you or anything else apart.. we're talking at the molecular level
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the gravity is too strong man, i told you even light cannot escape. that means to get out you have to travel faster than light. so far we can't do that.

also the tidal forces would get you. the force of gravity gets stronger the closer you are to another mass. it goes up as distance squared, so if you half the distance the force goes up by a factor of 4. when you're talking about the massive gravity of a black hole you end up with a situation where tidal forces (the difference in force at your head and your feet) would basically rip you or anything else apart.. we're talking at the molecular level

[/ QUOTE ]
On the scale of painful deaths, I wonder where this lies...
Old 02-01-2007, 02:55 AM

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

But seriously, the closest star to the Sun is 4.22 light years away, or 24,807,269,200,000 miles. The fastest man-made space-exploration craft, Voyager I, is currently traveling away from our solar system at 38,400 miles per hour, or 336,384,000 miles per year. At that rate, it would take 73,725 years to reach the closest star, and most stars are tens or hundreds or millions of times farther away. By the time a manned craft using today's technology could get anywhere interesting, the human race would be extinct anyway.

Besides, there are people who study the universe and learn more about stars and planets and stuff. They're astronomers and astrophysicists, and they throw really boring parties.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we getting leveled here?