Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 05:01 AM

Default ATo in the CO

Villain is 30/22/3 over 242 hands.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.4SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.7BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)

Comments so far, and what's your next move?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: ATo in the CO

I would probably have bet the turn, since his 3-betting range probably missed this board, and I would be ok with winning the pot right away. This also makes up for some bluff attempts on turn later (which you probably never should try at 0.25/0.5). I wouldn't want to give button another freecard with possibly a club, so I'd bet the turn.
When checked, I might opt to raise him on the turn, to charge or fold out what most likely is overcards.

As played I think you can check-raise river against an aggressive player like this villain, especially on this river card that might have hit him, but pretty much always gives you the best hand.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 AM

I like a donk/call because if you c/r you give him the chance to 3bet with a straight or flush which are very likely on this board or if you can c/r/f that line would also be good. enjoy
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 AM

I think you played it fine up until now, I wouldn't mind a turn bet to hopefully win the pot, but getting raised would kinda suck. I bet/call this river since I don't want the river to get checked through with a good hand on a scary board, but I don't want to open up to a 3-bet either.

Also I want to note that I am somehwat concerned about the flop check from a player this aggressive. Passivity here fairly often means a monster which makes me even more reluctant to give too much action.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 AM

One thing which is important here is your stats against this guy. Have you been sitting in front of him for the whole 200+ hands? How agressive have you been? This can significantly affect his 3-betting standard.

I agree with previous poster that his flop check is suspect. But what could he have that he is now slowplaying? Aces? A set? Seems weird, but you never know with these guys. I'd still say from his play before and on the flop that his most likely holding is AK, AQ, AJ, so I would bet the turn.

Check-call the river. The A probably hit him, so there's a good chance that he will raise you with a worse hand.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Check-call the river. The A probably hit him, so there's a good chance that he will raise you with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i usually bet call here but check-raise fold or ck call seem like decent plays.

I think its a matter of what u think he 3bets checks. Some seem to think this is always a monster from a normally aggro opponent but I think its air atleast as often if not twice as much.

His hand looks like either Ax probably with one club or a hand like KQ KJ or QJ probably with a club.

ck calling could get some value from a hand like KQ if u think he ll bluff after u ck the A. check-raising probably gets two bets from tpgk where he mite not raise ur donk with just an A but will almost always bet. And betting gets value from weak hands like KT QT JT or slowplayed overpairs that mite check behind once the ace hits (altho im guessing he vbs thin so he mite bet those anyways).
Old 01-29-2007, 12:27 PM

I'm not going to defend my line here, I just want to give you an idea of my thought process. I don't know if it makes sense, but here goes...

I check-called the turn because I didn't want him to raise me for a free showdown with a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I did bet the river. He raised with 88, and I called. It was very much a crying call, but because of his stats it was a call I had to make. I didn't consider check-raising for the reasons that Inferno mentioned. Getting three-bet and not being able to call with top two against a lag sucks.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing which is important here is your stats against this guy. Have you been sitting in front of him for the whole 200+ hands? How agressive have you been? This can significantly affect his 3-betting standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but it's been a few days since I played this hand, so I honestly can't remember. I just found this hand in PT this morning.