Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Default How to play on from the flop check-raise?

With no read on UTG+1 or SB, should Hero usually fold to the flop check-raise?

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero ??
Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: How to play on from the flop check-raise?

imo opinion a read on SB is just as important.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo opinion a read on SB is just as important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for not including that initially. I fixed my post.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Tough one IMO. I can't see how UTG+1 could raise there with anything less than an Ace, but you don't have a read and he could just be a retard. SB calling on the flop probably sways this more to a fold.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm definitely folding because he is raising the field on a rainbow board. I feel you are beat here way too often to continue to the river calling two more BB.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM

sb calling and then utg check-raising makes me just fold rite here. ur only getting 12:1 or so with a likely 2 outter, in order to call profitably ud have to be able to get 5 more bbs on the next two streets when u improve and thats assuming it is always good (it usually will be barring the rare A8 or AQ).
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 AM

The Ace is the most typical card anyone plays preflop, and players limp as well as cold call with weak aces.

The small blind called on the flop but he may have one king who knows, but the cr was vs. two and it's a poor flop. If the crer is solid as far as one knows it's not good news.

Many players bet out hands like pocket pairs, eight, two picture cars and King-something.

Poker Tracker may show that he doesn't cr most all hands. It's all about the player(s) here.

There is one rule that can be used when dealing with flops like this (not like 225 but like Kxx) and that is to check the flop when there is just one overcard (the King) that's bad news, though it helps nothing to bet the turn and get ch-raised there and call it then down, until the SB bets and UTG+1 raises the turn, so one can muck. One may need to check the turn too, and then get check-raised on the river.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 AM

He is raising a protected pot with absolutely no draws out there. I am folding this one pretty easily.

Getting 12:1 calling to spike a 22.5:1 odds 2 outer is not good enough considering you are drawing to a possible underboat.

If you decide to call with the intention to go to showdown you cant even be sure that sb wont wake up forcing you to fold. In the best case scenario you get something like 4:1 on a call down, which is not enough for me. So even though you folded a winner dont be too upset about it, it was a good fold IMO.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM

This guy is check raising the flop on an A 8 A non-flushed board?

Without a read, I'd definitely call down. I think it's more likely an 8 / pocket pair than an ace. If he had an ace, I'd think he'd wait til the turn to check-raise.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 AM

The sb is there as well. You think that neither villain nor sb has an A 20% of the time? I think that is being way to optimistic.