Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Is this a good lay down or insta call?

550 satellite. Top 11 get a seat into a 2650 event.

Down to 14. Hero's image is very TAG. I've only shown down top ten hands. Villain has been chip leader for awhile. Got two full houses and Aces 4 times in the past hour. We both know we wouldn't raise each other's blind w/o a very good hand. He gave me a walk one time when I was in the BB he threw away AQo. Pre-flop he's raised to 8-10xBB and shown AA each time.

Table is playing extremely tight. It's been folding around to the BB unless someone picks up AK or JJ+ in which case they go all in pre-flop.
7-handed
Blinds are 1500-3000 w/ 300 antes.
Folded to hero in CO. Hero has 31k Villain has about 50k
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 8k.
folds to villain in BB.
He thinks and hesitantly calls and checks blind.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks behind

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain goes all-in. Hero...?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Is this a good lay down or insta call?

I assume this was a live tournament?

If you want respect for your continuation bets later, bet this flop.

Generally, you are WAY too shallow to get away from this hand. It kinda worries me that BB is so tight. And he has to understand that with an effective stack of 10 big blinds, he has to either push or fold preflop here. I don't know, maybe he was tempted by the good pot odds preflop.

I don't know if he can play TJ like this. Then again, I don't know why he wouldn't (if he decided to play them) push AJ/66/KJ preflop.

You can't get away here IMO though. Reasoning: You are way too shallow, and ZOMG YOU HAVE TRIPS.

And villain might have spades btw.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 PM

I can see KK, AA, hard to put him on any other hand. You are obv under-reppped. Tough spot, but I don't think I can find a fold here. Were you checking this all the way? curious about the flop check.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Someone as tight as he is will not be calling you with AJ s preflop and there is no chance that he has KJ.

He also would probably be folding with 66 or 55 but could very well have those hands if he though that you would check it down or check/fold when you missed. If he is capable of calling with 55 that means that he might also have 33/44/77/88/99/TT/QQ here and since your hand is underrepped and because you have been playing tight he might think that he is betting the best hand in this spot to end the pot right now.

He also should be 1/2 potting it with 66 or 55 but they can not be discounted completely by any means.

I doubt he is bluffing with AK/AQ but he could have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I think he most likely has 88/99/TT/QQ and he thinks that you have given up on the pot and that there is no way that you would make a crying call with 77-TT.

I agree that you should have c-bet this flop and called an all in if raised. As played I think that this is an instacall
Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Don't we need more info on this hand? What are the other stacks in the tourney? Are there still shorties below you if you fold here? It seems like in live sats people are willing to get down to 4or5XBB before they shove with anything less then AK or QQ+. If the table has been as tight as they have been, a couple shoves and you're back to where you were, so based on that I think I could fold here.

I think based on your image on the table and the way you've played the hand it's unlikely he puts you on a J. If this is a regular tourney I think it's a call, based on exactly what Fiji said.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:45 PM

This is really dependent on other stacks.
I probably fold preflop and call turn.