Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 AM

Default 200 NL - AQ facing river shove

Villians stats were a little on the loose side, but not much. Like 29/15/2 if i recall.

No specific reads.

I do not normally play a hand like this, but I was attemping to mix up flop checks every once in a while when I hit a safe flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($290.10)
MP ($180.40)
CO ($180)
Button ($195)
Hero ($218.20)
BB ($200)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $17.

Flop: ($52) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($52) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, Button calls $25.

River: ($102) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $145 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $145.

Final Pot: $392
Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: 200 NL - AQ facing river shove

38ish on flop, and keep betting down you really shouldn't fold this hand in a RRd pot, especially against a loose player and 98 BB effective stacks.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 AM

bump, any other opinions on the flop check?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Flop check is good.

Turn bet is OK. I don't mind checking this, but betting is fine.

CRAI on the river would be nice, but villian did the dirty work for you.

nh.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM

I play flop and turn often the same. Against certain agressive opponents u may also sometimes want to underbet the river to induce a raise or make him pay off with a wide range
Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM

The flop check is horrible. I would possibly do this HU or three handed to mix things up occasionally and stop my opponent assuming that a flop check equalled weakness.

If you ever, <u>EVER</u> c-bet with air after raising pre-flop, you have to bet your made hands in the same spot.

I would fold the river although yes, you may be ahead. You have put yourself in the position though.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM

PReflop is goot.

Flop check is fine.

Turn is the big decision. Do we lead strong on both remaining streets? Or do we bet weak or check on turn to entice a bluff? I think checking the turn loses way too much value. Villain is aggressive so your line of bet weak on turn and c/r river is fine.

On an aside:
How would you have played the river if it came down as a K or a Q? Would you have been willing to get it all-in if a spade came down? C/C or C/R? Do you see yourself folding any of these rivers?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM

The way played it looks like your on a bluff by checking on the flop and betting weakly on the turn. I would have to call since you dont have any clue the strength on his hand. Thats why cbetting is good idea. Nicely played.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop check is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm genuinely interested in why this is the majority view. Extract value from weaker aces? You'll do that anyway if you lead. Extract value from JJ-KK hands or encourage bluffs? Really? After a flop reraise, you don't think those hands will be extremely wary of the flop and welcome the chance to keep drawing?

What happens if villain bets the flop when checked to? Call? Raise?

Is AQ THAT good 6 handed that we are effectively trapping and letting our opponent (whose most likely holding is a pocket pair or suited connector type hand) "catch up"?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not normally play a hand like this, but I was attemping to mix up flop checks every once in a while when I hit a safe flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I wanted to work on doing some flop checks in rred pots, I would start with hands in which you are in position instead of oop.