Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Roomie Dilemma w/no solution

After seeing many roomie problems posted here, I'd thought I'd post my own - even though there is no resolution in sight.

I've had my current roomie for 3+years. We have been friends for almost 10 years. He did ok for the first year, but his financial irresponsibilities began to show in the second year. Once our lease came up after the second year, I was going to get my own place, but being the good friend I decided to keep him on and give him a year to fix his financial indiscretions.

The kid is bad. He 'suppossedly' payed off his debt at the last place (we were both on the lease and I eventually payed only my half of the rent), and proceeded to get indebted to me to the tune of $2400. Call me a sucker, but I just wanted to help the kid out. He's not even that much of a kid, 28 years old.

So, the current situation is that our lease is up March 31st, and he's going to owe me the full $2400. He quit his decent job last month anticipating a newer, better job, and has no signs that that job is on the horizon. Like I said in the subject header, there is really no resolution. I can call his parents, but they won't help. And when the lease is up, it's quite possible I will be living in another town.

Suggestions? Screwed? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

(I wish he had a lathe in the living room - it would be the least of my problems.)
Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Roomie Dilemma w/no solution

You can't get money he doesn't have, and it sounds like you don't much want to beat him until you feel satisfied. Lube up buddy, looks like you're gonna get screwed.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 AM

This happened with my roommate. Fortunately he waited tables and kept living with me. I nickel and dimed him every time I needed cash for a year. Finally got all the $$ back. So I guess my suggestion is to keep him around and make him get a job that pays daily in cash.

Of course if he's like my roomie you will have to put up him inviting most of the wait staff back for after-hours Sunday and Monday night coke parties. But small price to pay.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:07 AM

WTF you've been friends for ten years and you care about 2400? Tell him pay me back whenever you can, and then don't bother him about it. If you really have been friends, he'll pay. Also, help him with his financial irresponsibility. I don't know what to tell as I have never comprehended retards who made decent money yet always were broke, even when I didn't have money from poker. But there's gotta be something ridiculous and costing a lot of money that he does, while it doesn't really improve the quality of his live. Point that out to him.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:22 AM

What do you mean there is no resolution? It's already resolved if you ask me. You get your own place, leave him to fix his own mess, eat the debt and hope that you get paid back someday. And lol @ the idea of calling the parents of a 28 yo man.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM

1) Tell him that you plan to live alone once the lease is up.
2) Write up a payment plan for him to repay you for the loan.
3) Make him sign the contract.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean there is no resolution? It's already resolved if you ask me. You get your own place, leave him to fix his own mess, eat the debt and hope that you get paid back someday. And lol @ the idea of calling the parents of a 28 yo man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed
Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't imagine leaving without making him sign a contract. Otherwise it's going to be "Yeah man, don't worry, I got this new job lined up and I'll get you the cash as soon as possible" which is obviously never. That's cool you've been friends for a decade, but he's shown himself to be very irresponsible, and a friendship can't change that. A contract and a threat to take him to small claims court is def a more +EV situation than without it.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can call his parents

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a joke, right?

Here is your free advice: Don't sign another lease with this guy.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Tell him that you plan to live alone once the lease is up.
2) Write up a payment plan for him to repay you for the loan.
3) Make him sign the contract.

[/ QUOTE ]