Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 AM

Default AQo 3/6

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero raises, 4 folds, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

FLOP: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls.

TURN: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls.-----> can i raise??? or it's overplaying??

RIVER: t [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: AQo 3/6

I'd raise the turn.

Hands that you beat and almost always play this way:
TT(6),JJ(6),KQ(8)

Hands that beat you:
QQ(1),KK(6),AA(6)

Hands that chop:
AQ(6)

So a raise is a good idea. Add to the mix hands that frequently fire twice like AK or nuts flush draws and it becomes even higher value.

If he 3-bets, call down (you have outs on the turn and the river could still chop).
Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM

Against a typical player this a standard turn raise as you expect to get called down by worse hands and you are beating villain's range by a good deal here. Without a read I raise here.

Againts certain better players who can find a good fold to your turn raise you may want to just call and let them continue to bet your hand for you. At the least they will probably check-call the river with as little as AK netting you 1 aditional bet, wehreas a raise might cause a good player to fold such hand. If you take this line I would raise any safe looking river card.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Raising the turn is definitely not overplay. With a good read it might be, but since he's just a random we need to raise for value.

As played, definitely bet the river.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Against certain better players who can find a good fold to your turn raise you may want to just call and let them continue to bet your hand for you. At the least they will probably check-call the river with as little as AK netting you 1 aditional bet, wehreas a raise might cause a good player to fold such hand. If you take this line I would raise any safe looking river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, particularly about just calling getting value from extremely thin calls from hands like AK or weak pairs on the river that would have just folded to ur turn raise.

However, its moreso true if the good player respects ur play and doesn't think ur often FOS. if you make lots of turn free showdown raises or semibluffs I'd raise the turn vs a good player for balance knowing hes still taking an underpair to showdown very often.

Against a typical 3/6 kinda loosey raising the turn is more standard but i dont mind calling and raising the river on occasion.

as played river is an easy easy vb.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:52 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

It depends on villian but against some you might not even lose AK wiht a turn raise. Against a lot of people you should raise the turn specifically because they'll just turtle up and c/c the river, causing you to miss a bet. If you lose AK/AJ/88 whatever it's not a huge deal. You only missed one big bet and you made the guy feel at least a little owned/frustrated.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Against certain better players who can find a good fold to your turn raise you may want to just call and let them continue to bet your hand for you. At the least they will probably check-call the river with as little as AK netting you 1 aditional bet, wehreas a raise might cause a good player to fold such hand. If you take this line I would raise any safe looking river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post, particularly about just calling getting value from extremely thin calls from hands like AK or weak pairs on the river that would have just folded to ur turn raise.

However, its moreso true if the good player respects ur play and doesn't think ur often FOS. if you make lots of turn free showdown raises or semibluffs I'd raise the turn vs a good player for balance knowing hes still taking an underpair to showdown very often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually raise this turn 100% of the time so thank you jstill and colgin for the concise yet very insightful notes on when to consider a call in this extremely common situation. Obvious to the pros I'm sure but very valuable for us noobs!

Edit: Follow-up hypothetical question. Say you call the turn then raise a safe-looking river as described, only to get 3-bet. Is it fair to say that would be an almost certain fold?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Against most players I raise the turn. Against players I know to be capable of folding the turn I'll call and raise the river.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:13 PM

Hrmmm, Am I overly agro here if I cap this preflop? Plenty strong in my opinion. Then if ch/raised on the flop, I'd still raise the turn.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hrmmm, Am I overly agro here if I cap this preflop? Plenty strong in my opinion. Then if ch/raised on the flop, I'd still raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
With no a read, I don't cap AQo in this spot.

Hero raised UTG, and villain's 3bet from BB *should* fair well against hero's UTG range (assuming villain thinks hero is decent and villain isn't a spewtard). So, I wouldn't cap for value, and if I'm not capping for value, I see no other reason to cap w/o a read. Give me a read that BB is weak tight postflop, then I start to consider capping. Plus, AQo is a decent hand to take to showdown if you let villain keep the initiative.