Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Exploit anothers mistake?

Today I ordered Subway, and my sandwich after being delivered to my Dorm cost $11.60 and I gave her a $20 and asked for 5 back (gave her a nice tip!). The delivery person gave me a folded $5 bill out of her fannypack. I noticed inside the folded $5 was a $20 bill and I was thinking sweet! I am not going to say anything and see if she will notice. I thought she might but she didn’t and I quickly fisted the bill to cover it up.

When I was walking away something weird came over me, and I was just thinking wow this is not acceptable behavior and reflects bad on my personal charecter. I felt like this was a test of who I am when no one was watching. I had a brief flashback of the movie “FamilyMan” where cashier purposely gives the customer the wrong change as a test. I also thought about my parents who I have seen instantly hand the money back on similiar occasions.

So like 20secs have passed since transaction. I then RUN back to the delivery driver who was in their car and backing out and was like you actually gave me too much and then I returned the bill.

As a poker player your first instict should be to want to keep it, no? Then you start realizing the implications behind your decision and have second thoughts. At same time, what makes this much different from online poker? Just because someone is behind a monitor I do not feel guilty for exploiting there mistake(s)?...

A lot of people just take the money there while a lot of people instantly give it back. My question is…
1. Do you think most americans take the money and run or give it back?
2. Which one are you?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit
Default Re: Exploit anothers mistake?

give it back all day.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Poker <> Life. Although some would say stealing is never acceptable.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM

You can't compare the specific example you gave, with online poker.

Poker is a game where players accept that there is a risk that they will loose the money they play with.

An innocent mistake during everyday life is a totally different matter.

I'd like to think I'd give it back- but can't "hand on heart" be certain I would (sad, I know)

But when I'm playing poker, I'm trying my hardest to win- if others exploit my mistakes then fair-play to them
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a poker player your first instict should be to want to keep it, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Nothing to do with being a poker player. Because you're not competing for her money. The situation, imo, isn't even comparable. People are more likely to not give it back because it fits with their get-something-for-nothing mentality. Which is why there are so many scams that work out there. I've seen people line up waiting in cars for about 1/2 mile, wasting expensive gas, so they can get a free $5 throw blanket.

I'd easily give it back, but I can't say I wouldn't think of keeping it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But then, some people's worlds aren't bigger than $20.

b
Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM

uhh where the hell does subway deliver?
yeah def give her the $20 back she could get in a lot of trouble for losing the money and honestly it happens to everyone handling cash.

Seriously, dont be a scum bag.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Today I ordered Subway, and my sandwich after being delivered to my Dorm cost $11.60 and I gave her a $20 and asked for 5 back (gave her a nice tip!). The delivery person gave me a folded $5 bill out of her fannypack. I noticed inside the folded $5 was a $20 bill and I was thinking sweet! I am not going to say anything and see if she will notice. I thought she might but she didn’t and I quickly fisted the bill to cover it up.

When I was walking away something weird came over me, and I was just thinking wow this is not acceptable behavior and reflects bad on my personal charecter. I felt like this was a test of who I am when no one was watching. I had a brief flashback of the movie “FamilyMan” where cashier purposely gives the customer the wrong change as a test. I also thought about my parents who I have seen instantly hand the money back on similiar occasions.

So like 20secs have passed since transaction. I then RUN back to the delivery driver who was in their car and backing out and was like you actually gave me too much and then I returned the bill.

As a poker player your first instict should be to want to keep it, no? Then you start realizing the implications behind your decision and have second thoughts. At same time, what makes this much different from online poker? Just because someone is behind a monitor I do not feel guilty for exploiting there mistake(s)?...

A lot of people just take the money there while a lot of people instantly give it back. My question is…
1. Do you think most americans take the money and run or give it back?
2. Which one are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an American, but I think that most Americans would give it back, almost without thinking; and I think that this goes for a lot of people all over the world, me included.

A small percentage would keep the money.
However, what you did, first keeping it, and then correcting yourself and giving it back, I think that is very rare and quite an accomplishment. Kudo's!

By the way, I'd rather rob a bank then screw somebody over that provides me with good service!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 AM

1. No - Canadian but i give it back anyways
2. give it back in general, especially in this case because delivery drivers really need the mmoney, When i play online poker i want win all the money, so i guess i'm both.

Subway delivers, who knew? Jared would be disappointed, i'm sure he trimmed down his considerable girth by walking to Subway.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:06 AM

If I'm dealing with a person, whom I have no negative feelings against, I would give it back. If I'm dealing with someone, whom I see as a tiny part of a big cooperate machine, I would pocket the money.

It pretty much comes down to whether I can identify with the "entity" that I'm taking the money from or not.

For instance I would instantly hand the money back to Pokertracker pat, but I would happily pocket considerable amounts of money belonging to Microsoft.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm dealing with a person, whom I have no negative feelings against, I would give it back. If I'm dealing with someone, whom I see as a tiny part of a big cooperate machine, I would pocket the money.

It pretty much comes down to whether I can identify with the "entity" that I'm taking the money from or not.

For instance I would instantly hand the money back to Pokertracker pat, but I would happily pocket considerable amounts of money belonging to Microsoft.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty twisted way to look at it.

It's also pretty much how I look at it too...