Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Default ubb.threads ... latest version?

Why is 2+2 still running 6.5.5? The latest version is 7.0.2 and is much better than this.

They also have automated importers that update the forum software from older versions.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:27 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: ubb.threads ... latest version?

very applicable quote evan made yesterday:

[ QUOTE ]
whoever runs this site was too stupid/lazy to fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

rj
Old 11-29-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very applicable quote evan made yesterday:

[ QUOTE ]
whoever runs this site was too stupid/lazy to fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, this doesn't even take effort. I don't see it taking longer than a few hours.

I'd even do it for them -- but I'm guessing whoever runs the site wouldn't want to give me access to their FTP/backend.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 PM

We have been evaluating version 7. The upgrade is not as easy as you might imagine. I did a test install the week that 7.0 was released. Based upon the the information that I gathered at the time I estimated that it would take more than 24 hours...perhaps well more than 24 hours...of forum downtime just to convert the forum database from 6.5.2 to 7.0.2. And that assumes no errors in the process.

I've been working to get the developer of UBBThreads to create a special version of the importer that would make it feasible for us to do the upgrade with minimal downtime. We (he and I) have specified what would need to be done, but he doesn't have time to do the work for us at the moment.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have been evaluating version 7. The upgrade is not as easy as you might imagine. I did a test install the week that 7.0 was released. Based upon the the information that I gathered at the time I estimated that it would take more than 24 hours...perhaps well more than 24 hours...of forum downtime just to convert the forum database from 6.5.2 to 7.0.2. And that assumes no errors in the process.

I've been working to get the developer of UBBThreads to create a special version of the importer that would make it feasible for us to do the upgrade with minimal downtime. We (he and I) have specified what would need to be done, but he doesn't have time to do the work for us at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah I see. Good to know that the upgrade is hopefully in the pipeline.

I didn't realize there was a big database conversion involved, but I guess converting any part of your database is probably big.

It might be worth it though, especially if you could somehow convert your 4 AM backup (I'm assuming you have a script that does that based off of performance that I've noticed) offline and then fill in the conversion with posts since the backup. I'm guessing that would require developer involvement though.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 PM

Your incremental approach is exactly what we are proposing to the developer. He understands the problem and will likely work with us when he has time. We've paid him for some custom modifications in the past and he's been quite cooperative...he simply is overloaded at the moment.

Please be patient.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your incremental approach is exactly what we are proposing to the developer. He understands the problem and will likely work with us when he has time. We've paid him for some custom modifications in the past and he's been quite cooperative...he simply is overloaded at the moment.

Please be patient.

[/ QUOTE ]
No problem, thanks for the responses. I look forward to seeing 7 on here at some point in the future.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:43 AM

What great features come with version 7.0.2?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What great features come with version 7.0.2?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably easiest just to look here. This is the developer's install of it: http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubb...s.php/ubb/cfrm
Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 AM

So what are the odds RJ apologizes to Chuck for referring to him as "too stupid/lazy"?