Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Two 10/20 hands

First hand, villain is your prototypical good 6-max player - about 24/17, decent aggression and makes a tricky play every now and then. His image of me is probably roughly the same, slightly more laggish.

PREFLOP:
- Villain raises $60 from button
- Hero repops to $220 from BB w KsKh; villain calls

FLOP: Ah Qs 8s (pot is $450)
- Check check

TURN: 4d (pot is $450)
- Hero check-calls $325 bet

RIVER: 6h (pot is $1100)
- Hero checks
- Villain bet $700
- Hero check-raises all-in, $2600 effective total

Second hand, I haven't noticed villain do to much interesting. 18/10 numbers over 200 hands.

PREFLOP:
- Villain raises $60 from button
- Hero repops to $220 from BB w Ac9c; villain calls

FLOP: Ah 9s Qd (pot is $450)
- Hero bets $400
- Villain calls

TURN: Ks (pot is $1250)
- Hero checks
- Villain pushes for $1100
- Hero folds

Edit: what if flop was two-tone, or villain only pushed $700? Under what conditions do you call this?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Two 10/20 hands

hand 1 are u repping JJ? what do you read him for? a weak ace? hell probably fold that but i doubt he's folding any 2 pair or better here since yourline looks very sketchy and a lot like a whiffed draw

hand 2 looks like an easy call. he could easily have a combo draw but JT and AK are two of his more likely hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Interesting, looking for other opinions.

Sorry, I messed up hand 1. Just checked the hand history and the river was not a J. I am definitely putting him on a weak ace here (ie. not AK) a good percent of the time. I could definitely have AAA or QQQ here and I think he knows that. He would probably also expect me to usually bet my flush draws on the flop here, so this reduces his likelihood of putting me on a busted draw.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 PM

I think Hand 1 line is fine, as long as you use it sparingly.

I don't understand why you fold in Hand 2. I agree with Grimstar that this seems like an easy call.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM

i really don't like hand 1. i doubt he folds a better hand here, i'd either call/fold based on read, i think fold is best with none.

hand 2 i would call.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Hand 2: The guy seems like a tag and he calls not only a PF reraise but also an ~PSB on the flop. What exactly can we put him on that we beat? The flop is rainbow, so combodraws are not possible. After he calls the flop he either has us crushed, has a weak one pair hand, or is floating. Since I doubt he's pushing with many one-pair hands, it seems like the only thing i'm beating is a float.

I'm not 100% sure I am behind here, but I feel I am crushed at least 2/3 of the time and probably more.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: The guy seems like a tag

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but just how tight can he be? He opened on the button and you reraised him. He doesn't have to be putting you on a monster. This is pretty standard action at 6-max. This is basically a lot like a battle of the blinds situation, where the hand ranges really open up.

[ QUOTE ]

and he calls not only a PF reraise but also an ~PSB on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would put him on a pair or better.

[ QUOTE ]

What exactly can we put him on that we beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

One pair or a worse two pair.

[ QUOTE ]

After he calls the flop he either has us crushed, has a weak one pair hand, or is floating. Since I doubt he's pushing with many one-pair hands,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you doubt this? He has less than a pot sized bet left to go all-in with, so if he called your flop bet with just a pair, he has to know he might be risking the rest of his stack.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not 100% sure I am behind here, but I feel I am crushed at least 2/3 of the time and probably more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you would have to feel that way to fold here, because you are getting better than 2 to 1 on the call. I just think you are good here (or will suck out) greater than 32% of the time, so it's a call.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you doubt this? He has less than a pot sized bet left to go all-in with, so if he called your flop bet with just a pair, he has to know he might be risking the rest of his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he push all-in on the turn with one pair? That would seem pretty awful. I know it's a possibility, but I don't think it's a large one.

I guess KQ is a hand I beat.

I still think i'm crushed 75% of the time against a player like this.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM

What range of hands do you think he calls your PF reraise with?

Maybe I (and the other respondents) are thinking of this more like a battle of the blinds (I realize he was on the button) type situation.

I mean, it is almost mandatory to raise any semi-playable hand when folded to on the button. This leads to more liberal reraising standards for players in the blinds. This of course leads to more liberal calling standards for the button.

Can he have a hand like AJ or AT?

In my mind, you are already committed. The K is only a bad card if you think he will have smooth called with a draw (unlikely given stack sizes). If he has AK, I think he would have pushed all-in preflop rather than merely called.

Your history with villain (hand 1) is another consideration. This is another button/blinds battle.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for your response. One of the biggest leaks in my game has been my inability to dump two-pair+ when I feel like i'm beat. I did it here and felt quite good about it, I am actually surprised at the responses.

For a player that only raises 10% of hands, he is not raising anything playable on the button (this is 6-max, 18/10 is pretty tight). Even then, a tight player will usually let go of most of their raised hands when reraised. I would put his range preflop as being pocket pairs, broadway, and occasionally suited ace-rag and connectors.

But when I lead so strongly at this flop, I don't think a player like this continues too often without a hand. I would say there is >95% probability that he has at least a pair after the flop. Maybe I am being naive.

Then, after I check to him, I seriously think he will check most one pair hands to the river. If he has AJ/AT, he shouldn't be too concerned about the gutshot draws, since he has them covered. Betting here would essentially get all stronger hands to call and weaker hands to fold (yes I realize I folded a stronger hand, but that wouldn't be his intent with AJ/AT). I think he checks his one-pair hand here >80% of the time. I certainly wouldn't bet here often with a pair of aces.

So the only other possibility is that he's betting a worse two-pair hand. I would think Q9 would like raise the flop, although it's not necessary I guess. KQ is a possibility I suppose.

Seriously, AA/KK/QQ/99/AQ/AK/JT seem to compose a huge part of his range. The game I play doesn't feature 4-bets as common as, say, Pokerstars, so I would not necessarily expect him to 4-bet AI w AK preflop.