Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Default George RR Martin\'s Song of Ice and Fire

I'm no the third book right now (A Storm of Swords) and I just wanted to give props to OOT for turning me on to this series of books. Hugely readable, even though at times I get confused with all the different families and literally hundreds of names and alliances and relationships to keep track of...

I'm really digging Tyrion the Imp, Jon Snow and The Men of the Night's Watch, and Arya. My favorite character, however, has to be Daenerys. Her story is so different and rich in mythology I would gladly read a whole series of books about her alone.

I'm also enjoying how there is really very little fantasy involved in the story - it's more of a Middle-Ages tale on a new map! The fantasy elements that are involved are so mysterious and perfectly placed (baby dragons, the Starks dreaming of wolves) that it only enhances what is really a very adult tale.

I'm astonished that one man could create a World as whole as Martin has...it makes Tolkien's Middle-Earth seem very small in comparison. It mostly reminds me of Bradley's Mists of Avalon (in style and prose) and Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (in its breadth of scope).

Love to hear what others have thought of it.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: George RR Martin\'s [b]A Song of Ice and Fire[/b[

My gf is obsessed with these books. She has read the entire series (up to the last book that is out) three times each. According to her, Song of Ice and Fire is better than Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter (I guess you have to know my gf to know what an enormous statement that is).

I havn't had any interest in reading fantasy for awhile, but from what she has told me these books are amazing.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: George RR Martin\'s A Song of Ice and Fire

My friend turned me on these junior year in high school and I just finished A Feast for Crows a few weeks ago. Excellent series IMO, but he splits up the characters in A Feast for Crows, and the divisions are such that most of my favorite characters end up being in the book that comes out after this one. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Yeah I'd like to thank OOT for getting me into this as well.

Tyrion is a great character and well written, probably my favorite.

I was always excited to get to a Jon Snow chapter because the wights and wildlings were some of the most exciting elements in that world, and it was a nice break from all the political intrigue (which was awesome in it's own right, but 90% depressing because the bad guys keep winning).

Arya's bits in Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords are awesome, mainly because I think the Hound is a great character, and it leads into a development that starts off really exciting but moved too slowly in Feast for Crows to really be much of a payoff, I hope her story gets fleshed out some more in the next book.

Daenerys was one of my least favorite characters actually. I was pretty set in the main continent of the book's world, and her setting is pretty jarringly different from the rest. I liked that the fantasy elements were kept to a minimum, and the dragons just seemed like an unnecessary addition, and I don't like the allusion that all the events on the main continent are just going to be a backdrop for some greater event involving Daenerys. I'm open to see where it goes though.

Does anyone know when the next book is due?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Fantastic series. Definitely among the great fantasy series of all time, and still going very strong. Can't WAIT for the next book!

Dom, I envy you getting to read them for the first time =)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: George RR Martin\'s Song of Ice and Fire

Saying that a series is better than Harry Potter isn't saying all that much?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know when the next book is due?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The good news, however, is that my travels are over for the rest of the year. There are no more conventions, readings, or promotional tours on my schedule until 2007, so for the next six weeks it will be just me and my PC. I am still hoping to be able to complete A DANCE WITH DRAGONS by the end of the year... although that will depend in large part on how well and how quickly the writing goes from here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Also I enjoyed the first four books of this series FAR more than I enjoyed LOTR. I think you have to wait until the series is done before you can make the real judgement though.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."
-Jaime Lannister

Best quote in the series?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:00 PM

This series is hands down the best fantasy series I have ever read, by far. He is super hot too...

Look at that player...
Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I enjoyed the first four books of this series FAR more than I enjoyed LOTR. I think you have to wait until the series is done before you can make the real judgement though.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."
-Jaime Lannister

Best quote in the series?

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the last thought by Bran in book two, when he was comparing the burned-out but still strong Winterfell with himself: it's broken but not dead. Like me.

I'm paraphrasing, as I don't have access to the book right now...