Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 AM

Default 20 question short stack hand quiz

Lately I’ve been feeling that short stack situations in tournaments are a weak point of mine (again) so I’ve come up with another series of hand quizzes/situations for discussion.

Assume in all hands unless stated otherwise that your mid way through a tournament where top 10% pay and 25% of field is left. The tournament is a 100 buy in on a major site with a normal pay break down. Assume your image is TAG but if you play a much different style feel free to explain your moves personal to your own image. Assume table is 9 handed and for now I won’t bother with including antes.

1. You have 11 BB’s holding 55 utg+3. It folds to you. SB is TAG with 15 BB’s, BB is ave with 30 BB’s. Push/fold?

2. You have 9 BB’s utg with AJo. BB is ave player with 24 BB’s. Push/fold?

3. Same situation with ATo.

4. You have 13 BB’s on the hijack with 44 and it folds to you. SB is tight weak with 30 BB’s and BB is loose ave player with 6 BB’s. Your play?

5. You have 14 BB’s utg+4 and it folds to you holding ATs. SB is chip leader with 60 BB’s and kinda loose, BB is TAG with 18 BB’s. Your play?

6. You have 12 BB’s on the hijack with A3s. Button is a tough thinking player with 23 BB’s, SB is weak ave with 10 BB’s, BB is standard TAG with 20 BB’s. your play?

7. You have 7 BB’s utg with JTs, your play?

8. You are the SB with 11 BB’s holding rags and its folds to you. BB is thinking player with 26 BB’s. Your play?

9. You have 8 BB’s on the hijack and it folds to you with 64s. Both SB and BB are standard players with 20ish BB’s. Your play?

10. You have 10 BB’s on the button with 43s. The SB is a standard TAG with 9 BB’s and the BB is an ave player with 11 BB’s. Your play?

11. Same situation as 10 with 43o.

12. You are hijack with 10 BB’s holding A7o. SB is unknown with 26 BB’s, BB TAG with 17 BB’s. Your play?

13. You are the cut off with 11 BB’s holding A2s. You have pushed the previous hand and were not called. The button is a thinking player with 14 BB’s, the SB a standard tag with 19 BB’s, and the BB and weak somewhat loose player with 22 BB’s. Your play?

14. You have 11 BB’s utg+3. SB is an unknown with 15 BB’s and BB a TAG with 21 BB’s. What’s the worst Axo your shoving?

15. Same situation but with Axs?

16. Same situation, as 14, what’s the worst pocket pair your pushing?

17. You are UTG+1 with 9 BB’s and QJs. SB is an uknown with 16 BB’s, BB an ave player with 21 BB’s. Your play?

18. You are the hijack with 12 BB’s and hold KJo. SB is tough thinking player with 17 BB’s, BB an ave player with 31 BB’s. Your play?

19. Same situation as 18 with 9 BB’s?

20. You are UTG with 10 BB’s. SB is TAG with 20 BB’s, BB TAG with 16 BB’s. What’s your pushing range?

Tomorrow I’ll put one up that involves reraising all in when short but this will do for now. Sorry the writing is a little inconsistent, I’ll work on that. I’ll post my answers a bit later.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: 20 question short stack hand quiz

1. Fold
2. Push
3. Push
4. Standard Raise
5. Standard Raise
6. Fold
7. Fold
8. Fold
9. Push
10. Fold
11. Fold
12. Standard Raise
13. Push
14. A 10
15. A 8
16. 7's
17. Fold
18. Raise
19. Fold
20. 22+ Ax+ KQ+
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 AM

1. You have 11 BB’s holding 55 utg+3. It folds to you. SB is TAG with 15 BB’s, BB is ave with 30 BB’s. Push/fold?
Push

Fold

Fold

4. You have 13 BB’s on the hijack with 44 and it folds to you. SB is tight weak with 30 BB’s and BB is loose ave player with 6 BB’s.
Your play?
Standard raise, call BB if he pushes, SB will fold to that raise.

5. You have 14 BB’s utg+4 and it folds to you holding ATs. SB is chip leader with 60 BB’s and kinda loose, BB is TAG with 18 BB’s. Your play?
Push

6. You have 12 BB’s on the hijack with A3s. Button is a tough thinking player with 23 BB’s, SB is weak ave with 10 BB’s,
BB is standard TAG with 20 BB’s. your play?
Fold

Fold

8. You are the SB with 11 BB’s holding rags and its folds to you. BB is thinking player with 26 BB’s. Your play?
Fold

9. You have 8 BB’s on the hijack and it folds to you with 64s. Both SB and BB are standard players with 20ish BB’s. Your play?
Push

10. You have 10 BB’s on the button with 43s. The SB is a standard TAG with 9 BB’s and the BB is an ave player with 11 BB’s. Your play?
Push

Push

12. You are hijack with 10 BB’s holding A7o. SB is unknown with 26 BB’s, BB TAG with 17 BB’s. Your play?
Push

13. You are the cut off with 11 BB’s holding A2s. You have pushed the previous hand and were not called. The button is a thinking
player with 14 BB’s, the SB a standard tag with 19 BB’s, and the BB and weak somewhat loose player with 22 BB’s. Your play?
Fold

14. You have 11 BB’s utg+3. SB is an unknown with 15 BB’s and BB a TAG with 21 BB’s. What’s the worst Axo your shoving?
AT

AT

17. You are UTG+1 with 9 BB’s and QJs. SB is an uknown with 16 BB’s, BB an ave player with 21 BB’s. Your play?
fold

18. You are the hijack with 12 BB’s and hold KJo. SB is tough thinking player with 17 BB’s, BB an ave player with 31 BB’s. Your play?
push

push

20. You are UTG with 10 BB’s. SB is TAG with 20 BB’s, BB TAG with 16 BB’s. What’s your pushing range?
77+, AJ+, KQ depending on the rest of the table
Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 AM

1. Push
2. Push
3. I hate this one....push
4. push
5. fold
6. fold
7. push
8. fold
9. push (not sure if this is right, but I do this)
10. push
11. fold
12. push
13. Push, you may get called by worse in the bb
14. ATs, AJ
17. push
18. raise 2.5x, fold to push
19. push
20. 66-AA, AJo+,AJs+, KQ...too tight?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 AM

I answered all these w/o looking at the other replies and it said the form was not valid when I hit submit and lost what I typed. so I'll just say this - you do not need to push with around ten M We discussed this last week. See a post by Lloyd. and see a poll that I posted. You need an M of around 7 to go to push fold mode.

Most of these hands I would 3xBB raise. I would fold almost everything that was UTG or EP including AJ. From LP, I'd try to steal and fold to a re-raise w/o AQo or better. In the SB hand where you have rags and it's folded to you with 64, I'm folding.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 AM

I am assuming .5xBB in ante. I play much looser with a big ante and tighter with no ante.

1. You have 11 BB’s holding 55 utg+3. It folds to you. SB is TAG with 15 BB’s, BB is ave with 30 BB’s. Push/fold? I wouldn't push. Probably fold.

2. You have 9 BB’s utg with AJo. BB is ave player with 24 BB’s. Push/fold? Probably fold. Maybe miniraise/fold.

3. Same situation with ATo. Fold.

4. You have 13 BB’s on the hijack with 44 and it folds to you. SB is tight weak with 30 BB’s and BB is loose ave player with 6 BB’s. Your play? Push.

5. You have 14 BB’s utg+4 and it folds to you holding ATs. SB is chip leader with 60 BB’s and kinda loose, BB is TAG with 18 BB’s. Your play? Small raise, limp, or fold.

6. You have 12 BB’s on the hijack with A3s. Button is a tough thinking player with 23 BB’s, SB is weak ave with 10 BB’s, BB is standard TAG with 20 BB’s. your play? Fold.

7. You have 7 BB’s utg with JTs, your play? Push.

8. You are the SB with 11 BB’s holding rags and its folds to you. BB is thinking player with 26 BB’s. Your play? Fold. Push if BB is weak/tight or with large ante.

9. You have 8 BB’s on the hijack and it folds to you with 64s. Both SB and BB are standard players with 20ish BB’s. Your play? Push.

10. You have 10 BB’s on the button with 43s. The SB is a standard TAG with 9 BB’s and the BB is an ave player with 11 BB’s. Your play? Push.

11. Same situation as 10 with 43o. Fold.

12. You are hijack with 10 BB’s holding A7o. SB is unknown with 26 BB’s, BB TAG with 17 BB’s. Your play? Fold.

13. You are the cut off with 11 BB’s holding A2s. You have pushed the previous hand and were not called. The button is a thinking player with 14 BB’s, the SB a standard tag with 19 BB’s, and the BB and weak somewhat loose player with 22 BB’s. Your play? Push.

14. You have 11 BB’s utg+3. SB is an unknown with 15 BB’s and BB a TAG with 21 BB’s. What’s the worst Axo your shoving? AJo.

15. Same situation but with Axs? ATs.

16. Same situation, as 14, what’s the worst pocket pair your pushing? 22.

17. You are UTG+1 with 9 BB’s and QJs. SB is an uknown with 16 BB’s, BB an ave player with 21 BB’s. Your play? Fold.

18. You are the hijack with 12 BB’s and hold KJo. SB is tough thinking player with 17 BB’s, BB an ave player with 31 BB’s. Your play? Push.

19. Same situation as 18 with 9 BB’s? Push.

20. You are UTG with 10 BB’s. SB is TAG with 20 BB’s, BB TAG with 16 BB’s. What’s your pushing range? AJs+, AQo+, 88+. With a big ante, the range is much larger.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I’ve been feeling that short stack situations in tournaments are a weak point of mine (again) so I’ve come up with another series of hand quizzes/situations for discussion.

Assume in all hands unless stated otherwise that your mid way through a tournament where top 10% pay and 25% of field is left. The tournament is a 100 buy in on a major site with a normal pay break down. Assume your image is TAG but if you play a much different style feel free to explain your moves personal to your own image. Assume table is 9 handed and for now I won’t bother with including antes.

Fold.. like to get closer to the button before raising a pair this low.

Push

Push

4. You have 13 BB’s on the hijack with 44 and it folds to you. SB is tight weak with 30 BB’s and BB is loose ave player with 6 BB’s. Your play?

Push

Raise 3BB, call or fold to reraise depending on player.

6. You have 12 BB’s on the hijack with A3s. Button is a tough thinking player with 23 BB’s, SB is weak ave with 10 BB’s, BB is standard TAG with 20 BB’s. your play?

Fold

Push

Push

Push

Fold

Fold

Push

13. You are the cut off with 11 BB’s holding A2s. You have pushed the previous hand and were not called. The button is a thinking player with 14 BB’s, the SB a standard tag with 19 BB’s, and the BB and weak somewhat loose player with 22 BB’s. Your play?

Previous push makes this a fold.

T

Push

Push

QJ+, 77+

Tomorrow I’ll put one up that involves reraising all in when short but this will do for now. Sorry the writing is a little inconsistent, I’ll work on that. I’ll post my answers a bit later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 AM

I think we're supposed to assume no ante.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Ug...I think I've got some leaks in this area. What's the name of the software SNGers use to calculate these scenarios? Its a different bird, but I imagine the application is still useful?