Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Default How would you all have played this?

2/4, no knowledge of player on button

In BB, dealt Kc, Kd

Button and SB call, I raise, button call, SB fold

Flop - Qs, 10s, 6s

I bet, button raises, I call

Turn - Ks Board 4 spades and str8 draw. I now have trips

I check and call

River - Jd

I check and call

Thanks in advamce for the lessons.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: How would you all have played this?

Same way you did. if i had played with button enough to know he would not bet river w/o a spade, i may find a fold there, but you are better off calling.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:59 PM

i think you played it well. question: what do you do on a blank turn like the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 PM

I would have made it 3 bets on the flop, but that's just me. Your play could be best. In addition to the hands that are beating you, villain could have something like AQ or JJ or KQ or an A or K of spades. Or worse. I'm not giving him a cheap card.

Turn call is fine -- compulsory, in fact, with 9 outs to a boat, not to mention the one beautiful K left in the deck.

You're probably beat on the river and you should probably fold. I'm usually not good enough to do it, though, getting around 7:1.
SK
Old 01-14-2007, 03:47 AM

I'm playing it the same. If button openlimps he's probably a passive player, so I don't feel the need to put in more bets as there is quite some chance we're behind.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you played it well. question: what do you do on a blank turn like the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]
b/f?

I would also 3 bet the flop, and probably lead the turn.

So I think I would: 3 bet flop, if he calls bet the turn. Now when he raises, just call and fold river UI. When he calls I'd be inclined to fire again on the river, fold when raised. (note that we always pay 2 BB here in the end, but if we draw out we make more, and we have the fold equity now. you just might get him to fold a low spade, or a straight. We do, however, run the risk of being messed with... but not so many 2/4 players bluff on the big streets with 4 spades showing)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/4, no knowledge of player on button

In BB, dealt Kc, Kd

Button and SB call, I raise, button call, SB fold

Flop - Qs, 10s, 6s

I bet, button raises, I call

Turn - Ks Board 4 spades and str8 draw. I now have trips

I check and call

River - Jd

I check and call

Thanks in advamce for the lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop--i would lean toward calling and trapping after the flop unless the button had been raising quite a bit when steal opportunities come his way...and also, i would also favor call/trapping unless the button & sb were players that i expect to play against a lot in the future...

flop i check raise, and if 3 bet i would think the villain probably started with a low draw and has made his hand--its call down to the river or fold decision time there...coin flip time for me.

once i'm past the flop i am going all the way to then...odds of button not have a spade preflop (39/52 * 38/51 = 19/34)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:10 PM

On a blank turn like the 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I really don't like bet-folding. I think betting is definitely correct, but I am almost always calling down. I'd need a really ironclad read to know that my opponent must have a flush to raise the turn.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 PM

I think that 3-betting the flop might be better than simply B/C, since it can narrow his hand holdings down if he caps (and you can make more money since I think you're ahead here.)

That turn blows, but if I 3-bet the flop and he just calls, I lead the turn again. If he raises, then I call and pray.

I think you could C/F UI the river if he calls the flop but raises the turn as there's little to no chance you're ahead and the pot isn't large enough to warrent a crying call that large.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Meh, I actually read "blank river with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]" ... Still rest of my advice stands, apparently very similar to grease's except for river. my point is that when you check he will likely bet and you'll call anyway; might as well bet yourself then. If you check you'll call all his spade hands and he checks behind all the hands you beat. I really don't think you can fold... if he sees weakness from you on the river he'll take a shot at it at least a good deal of the time.(guess some knowledge of player type would be useful here) (I want him to fold a straight here)