Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 AM

Default only interesting hand from my first shot at 3/6

won a tourney yesterday and decided to take a shot. had been on a great fun in vegas last few days. I assume there were other 2+2ers there, but I don't know what any of you look like.

key players in hand. Button James, very solid player who had been player a big tightish. (The was was 7-handed). He is only the only one I think who knows I'm taking a shot.

Small blind-- total lunatic, but in a decent kinda way. Has very good hand reading skills but just understand starting hand values in limit. my guess is that he plays much better in no-limit.

About 4 orbits in, had won about 4 pots, up around 5 BBs, hadn't shown down a hand yet. Also, had folded my BB every times, usually to a 3-bet.

Button raises, SB 3-bets. I call 2 cold with ATh. Button calls.

Flops: Ad 9h 9d. SB bets, I raise, Buttons calls 2 cold. SB then checks dark.

Turn: 3s. I check, Button checks.

River: 6h. SB checks, I bet. Button folds. SB calls.

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. I already pretty much know that I am going to be lambasted for not 4-bets in the BB, but I wanted to show that I could cold call hands for both deception and the fact that I didn't want to discourage the SB from trying to knock me out.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: only interesting hand from my first shot at 3/6

Bet/fold the turn. Free card there for a flush draw is a disaster.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to discourage the SB from trying to knock me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you mean preflop? any particular reason why?

i've always thought the "if you fu*k with my blinds, you'll have to pay" image was a better one.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to discourage the SB from trying to knock me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i assume you mean preflop? any particular reason why?

i've always thought the "if you fu*k with my blinds, you'll have to pay" image was a better one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my logic. The SB was going to play every hand. Since he didn't understand starting hand requirements, I didn't want to discourage this play. By calling alot (but not always), I knew i would be playing alot more hands in position, which i thought was worth more in the long run.

Regarding the turn check, I checked because I thought I was way behind. The button calling 2 cold was very scary. I put him on a 10 or AK, both of which have me killed.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 PM

even w/ the concerns you mentioned, the button will the tossing hands that have a great shot at you for 2 cold when you cold 4 bet your BB. especially since he knows you are taking a shot. normally, since the SB is a lunatic, a bb 4 bet here isn't as scary as yours would be in this situation.

onto the hand: the BU almost certainly has an A, a 9, or a flush draw. i dont think he's raising an A or a flush draw against you on the turn here and given that it looks excatly like you have an A, id expect him to think you're calling down with it. therefore i'd bet/fold the turn. i dont like your turn check.

if you think BU will be more likely to take a shot at you than that, then you can call the turn and river or call turn or fold river depending on your read of BU's read of you.

Barron
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM

So you were check/folding the turn if button bet? If you were going to call bet/folding is much better because he can have all kinds of flush draws.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM

About the flop raise.... not sure I see the point of that.

If you are planning on getting away from your hand if you get any heat after rasing the flop then I guess I could see that. But in high limit aggressive games, you should not be looking for reasons to fold TP, your hand is good enough to showdown quite often.

I think it may be better to call the flop, and try to ensure that one bet goes in on each street. This also may allow you to lose less to an ace with a better kicker, since your flat call on the flop is scary they'd have to worry that you hold a 9.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM

The problem with calling the flop is what's my play when the button raises and SB 3-bets (which is could happen with various holding. My hope was that I would be able to get the hand heads up with a flop raise and hence keep it cheap on later streets.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:43 PM

Cap preflop without a doubt. Driving the button out(which will happen enough) is a huge equity play for the hand you have. Especially because SBs like this can so easily show up with dominated aces or tens. Also, I'd definitely be betting the turn.

James
Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap preflop without a doubt. Driving the button out(which will happen enough) is a huge equity play for the hand you have. Especially because SBs like this can so easily show up with dominated aces or tens. Also, I'd definitely be betting the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]