villain is 50/17

Holdem No Limit - $1 BB

MP ($166)
CO ($76.59)
Button ($137.11)
SB ($67.75)
BB ($100) [Hero]
UTG ($48.23)

Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Preflop: (5 players, $1.5)
UTG calls $1, CO folds, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.50, Hero raises $6, UTG folds, Button calls $6, SB folds

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players, $16)
Hero bets $11, Button calls $11 and raises $11, Hero calls $11 and raises $23, Button calls $23

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, $106)
Hero bets $48 and is All-In, Button calls $48

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($202)

Results: Button has 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button wins $199 with Straight 5432A

i'm including the results on this hand to give you an idea of my impression of the villain going into the next hand. however, i do have some questions about this hand, if we can try not to be results-oriented...

against this villain, i think i'm willing to go broke with this hand after he min-raises the flop. anyone see a problem with that?

if not, i'm finding myself not sure in these situations of how much to re-raise. with a hand as vulnerable to overcards as 99, should i just push? if not, what should my thought process be in determining how much to reraise?

ok, so about 3 hands later, we get this action vs. the same donk (plus another one in the CO who was even worse @ 49/5):

Holdem No Limit - $1 BB

Button ($149.50)
SB ($79.59)
BB ($223.11)
UTG ($84.25)
MP ($107.25) [Hero]
CO ($46.73)

Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Preflop: (6 players, $1.5)
UTG folds, Hero calls $1 and raises $4, CO calls $5, Button calls $5, SB folds, BB calls $4

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players, $20.5)
BB checks, Hero bets $20, CO calls $20, Button folds, BB calls $20

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players, $80.5)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (1 players, $80.5)
BB bets $198.11 and is All-In

i don't know how to view this type of situation. against this type of villain, are you all generally thinking of this as:

a) an easy fold
b) flip a coin
c) instacall

explain pls??
Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: NL100 6max - need to learn how to think in these spots vs donks

In hand one, push the flop. You have to push or call any turn anyway, so you might as well get it in while you're probably ahead. There are no good draws out there, the only remotely likely hand the beats you is a set.

The flop minraise looks like a "That was a junk flop and I'm testing his c-bet to see if I can get him to fold overcards" raise. Push and let him know you've got a big pair and want to play for it all.

On hand 2, I initially thought instacall, but this could be a desperate attempt to get value for a flush. Depends if you think villain is smart enough to overbet so that someone with a K will call, or dumb enough to panic and push (instead of value betting) with the flush because he missed his checkraise on the turn. If he's anywhere in between there, call.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Hand 2 this is an insta-call.

Hand 1, against someone with these stats I would push the flop with any overpair.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 PM

oops you wanted how to think.

Here is my hand 2 reasoning. I have top pair good kicker, he plays 50% of his hands, if he out flopped me, he wins my stack, in the long run that works out because better starting hand make better hands in general.

On the flop when he calls he still has a huge range, including any pair, including kings ect, and then lots of 2 pairs and stuff, there are a lot more pairs/bad draws than anything else.

You check behind the turn , so he figures you don't have a good hand, king pairs on the river, the best card in the deck for you, he pushes thinking either, you don't have a kind or his 2nd pair is good, or this is a good spot to bluff whatever, he's a donk. you call and win his monies..