Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Continental destroys my laptop screen - what\'s my play?

So I try to be a good traveler and stick to the one carry on item rule by packing my laptop in my suitcase in the large padded box it came in surrounded on all sides by clothes. Still the bastards at Continental destroy it and their list of exclusions includes anything of value you would ever carry on a plane*.

The computer still works but there's a large diagonal crack from one corner of the screen to the other and large blotch of what looks like spilled black ink obstructing a lot of the screen. It gets better. Even though the laptop is still under warranty, the warranty excludes screen damage. Sheesh.

So what does it cost to repair something like this or do I just throw it away and get another laptop?

* Exclusions from Baggage Liability (Applies to Domestic and International Carriage)

a) Notwithstanding the foregoing limitations, CO shall not be liable for the loss of, damage to or delay
in delivery of any fragile or perishable items, nor for loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of any
of the following:
(i) Antiques, artifacts, heirlooms, collectibles;
(ii) Antlers;
(iii) Backpacks not designed for travel, sleeping bags and knapsacks made of plastic, vinyl or
other easily torn material with aluminum frames, outside pockets or with protruding
straps and buckles;
(iv) Business equipment and business samples;
(v) CDs, DVDs, MP3s;
(vi) Chinaware, glass, ceramics, pottery;
(vii) Computer hardware/software and electronic components/equipment;
(viii) Items checked in sacks or paper/plastic bags that do not have sufficient durability, do not
have secure closures or do not provide sufficient protection to the contents;
(ix) Items checked in corrugated/cardboard boxes, including cardboard boxes provided by
CO, except for items that otherwise would be suitable for transportation without the
cardboard box (e.g., bicycle, garment bag);
(x) Electronic and mechanical items, including cell phones, electronic games; and other
related items;
(xi) Eyeglasses, Binoculars, Prescription Sunglasses and Non-Prescription Sunglasses and all
other eyewear and eye/vision devices;
(xii) Garment bags not designed for travel;
(xiii) Irreplaceable items;
(xiv) Items made of paper (e.g., advertising displays, blueprints, maps, manuscripts,
business/personal documents, historical documents, photos, books, negotiable papers,
securities, etc.);
(xv) Jewelry;
(xvi) Keys;
(xvii) Liquids, perfumes, liquor, jerkins, zamzam water;
(xviii) Medicines, medical equipment;
(xix) Money, gift cards and gift certificates;
(xx) Natural fur products;
(xxi) Perishable items such as food, seafood;
(xxii) Photographic/cinematographic/audio/video equipment, cameras and related items;
(xxiii) Precious metals/stones;
(xxiv) Tools, battery powered hand tools, tool boxes/containers;
(xxv) Totally unprotected items such as tennis racquets and umbrellas, either individually
checked or tied/strapped to the outside of luggage;
(xxvi) Silverware, knives, swords;
(xxvii) Watches (Timepieces);
(xxviii) Works of art such as paintings or sculptures; or
(xxix) Any other similar valuable property or irreplaceable property included in the Passenger’s
Checked or Carry-on Baggage with or without the knowledge of CO.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...2006101302.pdf

(I wasn't exaggerating)
Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Continental destroys my laptop screen - what\'s my play?

I've bought refurbished screens before for ~$350-$400 and charged about and hour or hour and a half on labor. Basically it depends on the machine and/or if you can replace the screen yourself.

Only way cracked screens get covered under warranty (since obv the screen isn't suffering a manufacturer defect) is if you get the accidental damage plan.

Screen prices vary greatly. You'll just have to search for your model to find out how much you're looking at. The $350-$400 ones I've done were 15" non-widescreen gateway solos a couple years ago.