Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Stud simulation software

A recent session in which I lost with best pair on third street against a pair who called the whole way and rivered two pair about six times in a row (it sucked) has made me curious about this play. I konw it has long term +EV because I start out ahead, but I want to run a simulation where I play this hand several tens of of thousands of times and plot the results to observe the fluctuations and the slope of the curve if it were a straight line, which would indicate the profitability of such a play. I could write this program using JAVA or MatLab, but I wondered if anyone knows of some freeware on the web or elsewhere that I could use and save myself a whole of time coding up a game simulator.

I have lots of other ideas for simulations that I would like to try, and I will publish the results on the forum for the good of all you 2+2ers out there.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Stud simulation software

well twodimes is probably a good place to start, but that won't help with a graph per se.

The problem with the profitability of your starting hand is that it is different most times you play the hand, depending on how many people in the pot, dead cards, how the betting goes (e.g. can you get in a raise to get it heads up or is it 4 to the river), etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 PM

Yes, I understand that the profitability depends on other factors as you describe. I plan to start the simulation with the assumption that you are heads up and both players have all live cards, and go from there, varying the assumptions, and observing the results. I think it will be very interesting to observe the results. I will check out twodimes. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 AM

You could go to www.twodimes.net and plug the hands in there.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 AM

I would be interested in such results if you can graph the as well. I would be particularly interested in the scenario where you ahve a bigger pair vs. a smaller pair with an overcard to your pair.

That said, this is a standard scenario of "the best hand going in, is usually the best hand coming out". Effectively, you both have the same chance to improve, but you are in front. While you do lose in this scenario a gret number of times, this is really one of the best scenario's you can be in. If you make two pair, he has two outs to make trips and you have him absolutely dominated (asuuming the flush and str8 are not in the equation).
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Could you give an example of how these results would justify the time and effort.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 PM

If you manage to do this, please post it here. i would be interested in seeing this as well.