Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Default My first adventures into PLO.... HELP!

Hey guys, I've probably got 500k+ hands of NLHE under my belt, and maybe 50K of 7 stud, but wanting to expand my game and learn more, I've been lurking in this forum a little bit and last night ventured into PLO for the first time on Stars.

I ended up down a couple buy-ins, and wanted to post some of the situations to the experts for some help. Gonna be a long learning process, but I really did like the game and the quickly building pots were definitely a rush!

1) My very first hand I held KJ910 and flop came K99. In early position I bet out and everyone folded. How should I have played it?

2) Here's what I thought was a tricky spot, but maybe this is pretty straightforward. Obviously such a flop in NLHE is beyond huge, but in Omaha I have no idea what % equity my hand is against whoever holds an ace with 2 cards to come, so I'm not sure whether to try to get it all in now or check raise a turn, etc.??

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $57.15
Hero: $25.15
MP1: $20.10
MP2: $36.65
MP3: $10.35
CO: $21.75
Button: $30.90
SB: $56.05
BB: $12.50

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.25, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1.2</font>, 2 folds, Hero ???

3) Another tricky spot I'm just not sure of. Is this a fold on the flop? What do you put villain on?

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21.60
UTG+1: $19.30
MP1: $42.20
MP2: $6.10
Hero: $39.05
CO: $26
Button: $12.30
SB: $34.15
BB: $8.65

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.25, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $5.2</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($12.65, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $12.05</font>, Hero ???
Old 01-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: My first adventures into PLO.... HELP!

No love?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM

1) it depends on so many things my head hurts. Betting is ok, do not woory.

2) Axxx has 10 outs twice. Not bad, but you are ahead. Raise when you can.

3) Raise. If you are against JJ or AA, well, too bad.

no love, because in plo it is quite impossible to discuss about hands if no read is avaible. And because we are not very nice people.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM

i would fold hand 3 on flop, as played fold turn because there are 5 people to the flop and it s not a draw heavy board. i doubt he s check raising a 910 or aj here often. utg+1 might have flat called with aaxx preflop hoping to reraise.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:01 AM

1) Bet. You didnt get paid off. Get over it.

2)Depends on the player to an extent, but raising is best as you'll generally be 2-1 against Axxx

3)Again, a read would help. Sometimes you're up against KQTx. The flop is pretty bare and I would want to go broke here without knowing what he's going to c/r with etc. If he was solid he could have wanted to limp/reraise with AAxx. I'd fold most times as this line looks like a better set.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 AM

1. Not usually worth slow-playing a low full house. If you run into a 9, you've got a pretty good chance of getting paid off.

2. Just jam it up as hard as you can. The sooner you get the money in, the easier it is to get your opponent to make a tough decision when behind. Also, you do have a pretty solid equity edge on the flop.

3. Against a good player, on this dry of a board, you should be folding this hand. It's just a better set too often. Playing .10/.25 though, I'd C/R the turn all-in. People overplay two pair at this level quite a bit, and a wrap is a strong possibility as well.