Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Flopped a set of queens what\'s a good line?

I probably should've bet more like 3.75-4.25 on the turn I think since vilian had an awkward stack and also since I need to bet or call any non club river here. Also maybe a check/call on the river would be better to induce a bluff but he was pretty passive 0.42 AF and I thought mabye a bet would be better to get value out of pairs.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($28.20)
UTG+1 ($14.40)
Hero ($30.90)
MP2 ($26.50)
CO ($12)
Button ($24.55)
SB ($13.05)
BB ($8.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($3.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, CO calls $2.25.

Turn: ($7.60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls $3.

River: ($13.60) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.5</font>, CO calls $5.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $24.60
Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set of queens what\'s a good line?

id bet 4 on the turn, other than that it is fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 PM

4 sounds good. I dont think checking the river to induce a bluff would be a good play. Bluffs rarely occur on the river, so I think you played the hand well.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 PM

Ok, thx for the feedback. I should've made it $4 but I was a little scared of losing him but should've thought more about the river bet I had to make/call and charged him more. He had A7 clubs for the straight.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 PM

I'd bet a $5 on the turn if villain is passive. You also deny villain the odds to call if he's on a flush draw.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Just shove the turn of course, since he only has a PSB behind. Don't know why you'd want to "keep him in", give him a bad price to chase and he'll usually take it in this situation. If he hits, such is life.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:29 PM

Hmm. Ok. I think I would most of the time shove the turn I if I didn't have trips and just one pair. But since any his overs aren't outs and some of his flush outs are dirty I thought maybe it might be better to keep him around to hit a second best top pair or flush that paired the board.

Mabye I am underestimating how easy people will stack off at this level or in cash games in general since most of my exeperience is limit cash or tourneys?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Bet more on the turn. Definitely bet the river. You will get called by all sorts of stuff and low AF villains won't do it for you. Must bet.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. Ok. I think I would most of the time shove the turn I if I didn't have trips and just one pair. But since any his overs aren't outs and some of his flush outs are dirty I thought maybe it might be better to keep him around to hit a second best top pair or flush that paired the board.

Mabye I am underestimating how easy people will stack off at this level or in cash games in general since most of my exeperience is limit cash or tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine if you are deep, but look at his stack after the flop betting, he just doesn't have anything left to "trap" with a second-best hand. So just shove it in, he'll call with any kind of draw usually even though you've given him a bad price, because he wants the chance to double up.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Ok. I am just starting with NL cash and these "medium" stacks have been giving me trouble I guess.

I have been buying in for the max which here it was $25 but I noticed that when I go to sit at the table the default that the bubble choice is set to is $15 and there seem to be a alot of people who just leave it at the default.

I guess the trouble that it is giving me is that betting that much of my stack to them looks really strong and won't get as much action and maybe it wouldn't look as strong if I had bought in for just $15 but this is probably the subject of another thread.

Trying to understand the logic of people who use no logic is just frustrating I guess.