Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Constant Flux (Or theories behind a Permanent BB Challenge)

Yo guys! I'm back! I've been back, but yeah. I've been spending about 98% of my time in tournaments. I don't even sleep or eat anymore. J/k. Poker play time that is. Blah blah. To the point!

I have once again decided to warm up my ring game skills with a 20bb challenge, starting at the bottom of the barrel at $.02/.04. I'm going well, moving on up. What would you guys say would be the pros and cons of permanently doing a BB challenge? Play until you get 20bb at the next stakes and then immediately move up. If you ever drop to 10BB for your current stakes, the challenge ends and you start again back where you started. If you manage to move up one level, you should do no worse than break even. Perhaps you wouldn't need to start over at 2/4c, but I chose that because it's fun.

Discuss.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Constant Flux (Or theories behind a Permanent BB Challenge)

If you're never going to cash out your br, and don't tilt, and normal variance won't bust you even after you drop down, it's a great idea...but I wouldn't do it at 20BB. Something like 50-100BB is probably optimal, assuming the goal is something like "move up to a level I can beat and where the money matters to me"
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Guruman had a post going back a while ago pretty much the same principal however I believe it was 40BB.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM

I really like the idea. I'll play devil's advocate. It would seem that what changes as the stakes increase is the absolute skill of the average player. It could be argued that there is some level at which a given player with his given skill plays best at - in terms of BB/100. So, if I play optimally at 2/4, then I might not want to move up.

I suppose it all comes down to the purpose of the BB challenge. If it is to make money then I think my argument stands, e.g. if I play much better at 2/4 then 5/10 in terms of BB/100, then I may just be wasting my time by taking a shot a larger games before I'm ready.

However, I like the idea of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone as the best way to gain experience and learn the harder games.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM

I did this for a while as two running-in-parallel OICs (15BB). It added some excitement and kept me away from getting into bad habit ruts, but it's not really any better than any other arbitrary bankroll mgmt idea.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 PM

I'm going to try it starting at .05/.10 w 20BB buy in. Moving up whenever I am ahead 30BB for the new level. Buy in for 20BB at the new level. Stop, game over, if I dip under ten at whatever level I'm at. Could take awhile. Might be over quickly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Gee, I always had kind of a permanent 300BB challenge going when I did limit. +- about 50BB. Everytime I hit 300BB for the next level, I moved up.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Sklansky wrote an article on this for an early edition of the 2+2 mag, actually. He advocated that a 100 BB challenge was optimal.