Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Heads Up Tournament Setup

Hello everyone. I am currently setting up a 64 person heads up, no limit hold em tournament.

I was wondering if anyone here had any good ideas on the structure we should use?

We are trying to make this a deep-stack event to maximize the amount of "poker" being played.

1) Starting Stack: ~ 200-300 BB (T20000-T30000)
2) Level Length: 20 Min
3) Buy in: $35 (prize pool) + $5 (championship day party)
4) Self dealt vs. players not currently in game dealing?
5) Bracelet/trophy vs. keep all money in prize pool?
6) Payout structure: 1st/2nd/3rd & 4th same amount, more places? have consolation matches for places 3 +?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Tournament Setup

In our HU tourney we use 25 minute rounds and if you are making it deep stack I wouldnt go more that 10 or 12k starting chips or you might be there a long long while if two tight players play each other. Also, let the two semi final losers player for 3rd and 4th place andpay them differnet amounts.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 PM

I agree with X Factor. About whether to give out a bracelet and/or a trophy or choosing to keep it in the prize pool, keep it in the prize pool. I honestly have to say getting a bracelet and/or trophy for a home game tournament is the gayest thing I ever heard of, nuff said.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I agree with the gay-ness (no offense) of the bracelet/trophy thing. I just wanted to put it out there as an option.

I think we are going to go with T5000 for the first 4 rounds, then T10000 for the final 4 and championship rounds.

Since we are going through the hassle of playing so many matches, we might as well have the 3 vs 4 match-up to determine the 3rd place finisher.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Honestly in my home game we use a different set up for the chips. We start with T2000 in the first match and then you take the other persons chips with you to the next match so you would have T4000 starting next time. You can adjust the blinds accordingly so you can make sure poker is being played and its not an all-in fest.

I like the idea of having 5k in starting chips but honestly you will be there all night if you do that with says 25/25 blinds or even 25/50 starting then.

X
Old 02-03-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly have to say getting a bracelet and/or trophy for a home game tournament is the gayest thing I ever heard of, nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's "gay" about it? And you don't know what you're talking about, except for your own reaction. Giving bling is almost always a good thing (except for SITMs like you).
Old 02-03-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly have to say getting a bracelet and/or trophy for a home game tournament is the gayest thing I ever heard of, nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's "gay" about it? And you don't know what you're talking about, except for your own reaction. Giving bling is almost always a good thing (except for SITMs like you).

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you won a braclet in a home game
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you won a braclet in a home game

[/ QUOTE ]

The only bracelet I ever plan on winning and wearing starts with a W and comes from east of Cali.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

I'd pay the top 8- bottom 4 get same flat amount (buy-in, maybe small profit, since they all finish in the same spot) and top 4 get the rest.

Given that this is single-elimination, the amount of luck involved can be used to justify the spreading of the return.

$2240 prize pool. $60 for 8th-5th = $2000 left. If the final four are double elimination, then $200 for 4th, $350 3rd, $550 2nd, $900 for 1st

If 3rd and 4th are the same level (single elimination), then $200 each, $600 second, $1000 first.