Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Poker: Comedy of Errors

I am playing a lot of multi-table sitngos right now. I have on several occasions busted out players from them due to sucking out. I am a good player. I had the worst hand and got a lot of chips in the middle on these occasions because either my opponents played trickily and I thought I was ahead or because the 'betting dialogue' to use a term originating with Bob Ciaffone did not have enough room in it to establish I was beat. I am not talking about preflop situations where you may go allin with AKo and beat QQ who was after you and could do no more than call. Let me give you an example, I had pocket TTs I raised got two callers. I went all in on a low flop with no card higher than a seven. I get two callers. One fish with a seven and a good player holding AA. I spiked a ten on the turn. There was no reason to think he had AA. So when they were turned over, I allowed myself a wry smile. My smile got more wry when I spiked the ten.

Yes, playing well takes the money time after time but sometimes you find yourself in a corner and you have to defy the odds.

Nevertheless, it is strange to put yourself or your opponent allin and buck the odds.

Strange, indeed.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Poker: Comedy of Errors

No offence but try this: Remove the phrase "I am a good player" from the beginning and re-read. Doesnt it sound better?

FYP?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 AM

Doesnt it depend on his stack on the flop, compared to the pot though?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offence but try this: Remove the phrase "I am a good player" from the beginning and re-read. Doesnt it sound better?

FYP?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are quite right. It does read better with the modification you suggest.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have failed to make myself clear. What you have said is correct. Though, this not a strategy post. It is all about the delight of being a sucker for a moment and getting that thrill of outdrawing someone.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have failed to make myself clear. What you have said is correct. Though, this not a strategy post. It is all about the delight of being a sucker for a moment and getting that thrill of outdrawing someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

after you hit against them you are still a sucker. just a sucker with more chips is all.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

after you hit against them you are still a sucker. just a sucker with more chips is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong kyleparks. The point is poker is not as precise as keyhole surgery and sometimes you put your chips in the middle with the worst hand. If you could read then that would have been clear to you from the post.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Al, i havent read all the responses yet. The first few seemed lackluster. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But it was hard to understand your OP at first. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am first off reminded of a scene from Simpsons.
Was it Dr Nick? Or no the lawyer Lionel Hutz/ who gave a business card:
"Works on credit. No money down!"
when the card was prsented to him by client (homer?)
he pulls out magic-marker to edit it:
"Works on credit? NO! money down!"
ahahaaahaa
[/tangent]
i FYP your first paragraph , cause i think it reads alot clearer this way, it was easy to "misunderstand" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
I am playing a lot of multi-table sitngos right now. I have on several occasions busted out players [deleted] due to sucking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats GOOD! And its the clearest indication that you are pwning the game. When you notice as odd, the times they "wake up with a hand". Normally, you are pushing your money in with the best of it (most always), and once in a blue moon they stumble upon the hand it takes to -call/lookup your action. Of course you have the worst hand when this happens! Over the preceding 5-20-100 pots you've more than accululated enough chips to pay for it, because you are playing right (aggrosmart). So when you get thrown into a longshit, freeroll the [censored] and win sometimes, heh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
*I think SS1 has the best description of this concept. Its Doyle talking in the intro about "his agressive strategy", and why it shippos the chippos over times (*not his words).
If you are picking up all the pots when you both have nothing, of course you will be in there the times that he hits. So be it. Consider that pot payed for...and freeroll on him. Doubt you're drawing dead.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:39 PM

omg how funny. i swear i tried to type "longshOt" there~!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am first off reminded of a scene from Simpsons.
Was it Dr Nick? Or no the lawyer Lionel Hutz/ who gave a business card:
"Works on credit. No money down!"
when the card was prsented to him by client (homer?)
he pulls out magic-marker to edit it:
"Works on credit? NO! money down!"
ahahaaahaa
[/tangent]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that was me.