Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 AM

Default cracking aces hypo

You're playing 5-10. You have a player to your immediate right who plays exactly like a typical 5-10 guy, except for one thing: the only hand he will raise preflop is aces, and he will raise/re-raise with them every time, no matter what.

You're both having a good night so you both have around $10,000 in front of you. You're in the BB and it's folded to your friend who raises. You have 678T with the 78 suited. What's your plan?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Re: cracking aces hypo

We definitely want to reraise to build the pot enough so that our friend feels committed to his aces and want to play a big pot anyway just due to the advantage our position affords. The only question is where the optimal stack sizes are in relation to the pot.

Just a 3-bet probably doesn't get us into the hand as deeply as we'd like, whereas 5-betting could get us in trouble. I think ideally we'd 3-bet to $75, min-raise 5-bet to $375, and then just call when he makes it $1125.

That way a pot-sized bet on the flop will commit just under 1/3 of his remaining stack, and we can probably trap with our made hands, getting him to fire two shells and get his chips in, peel with our one pair hands on rainbow boards/weak draws, and push our big draws with a little bit of fold equity.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 AM

I agree with almost everything Iggy said, except that I think your decision is fold or repot on the flop.

10% is a good range to get stack sizes committed preflop. Vs an opponent you think you could sucker into pushing almost all the time, you should roughly have a EV of +$1500. If you increase it to 15%, then your EV is reduced to +$1000.

And of course you have to know your opponent to know when and if he'll fire a PSB on the flop, when he can get away from it, etc. I like Iggy's bet sequence because the AAxx player might very well put you on Kings or something like that which will increase the chance of him pushing the flop.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 PM

How does villain play postflop?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM

raise and reraise, then we have a nice 2000 dollar pot, that's the worst size for an AAxx-hand with this stack depth.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM

do whatever i can to get alot of money in preflop. then hit a good flop(if you run like me itll come 222)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We definitely want to reraise to build the pot enough so that our friend feels committed to his aces and want to play a big pot anyway just due to the advantage our position affords. The only question is where the optimal stack sizes are in relation to the pot.

Just a 3-bet probably doesn't get us into the hand as deeply as we'd like, whereas 5-betting could get us in trouble. I think ideally we'd 3-bet to $75, min-raise 5-bet to $375, and then just call when he makes it $1125.

That way a pot-sized bet on the flop will commit just under 1/3 of his remaining stack, and we can probably trap with our made hands, getting him to fire two shells and get his chips in, peel with our one pair hands on rainbow boards/weak draws, and push our big draws with a little bit of fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be the obvious play, but I'm not so sure. The knowledge that he has Aces can be very valuable when the pot is smaller as well, esp. with position and a semi-decent rundown hand. I would expect to make very good flop/turn decisions, steal a lot of pots, etc. You definitely want to play for higher stakes, but I can see just calling the 4th bet.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM

how many to act behind us?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the BB and it's folded to your friend who raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-30-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the BB and it's folded to your friend who raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dah. i'd do a minimum raise or call here.