Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 05:16 PM

Default From Tourneys to Cash Games

Recreational players like to play no-rebuy tournaments in home games because they know well in advance how much they stand to lose. I don't like to host tournaments because once I'm broke I have to wait for the next one.

Question: What methods have people used to convince their poker group to play cash games instead? Currently my argument of "everyone plays all night" is falling on deaf ears... several people worry about losing too much in one night. Even low stakes buy-ins ($5 at a time, for example) don't convince them, even though they are easily spending $20 a night on the tournaments.

TIA
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: From Tourneys to Cash Games

The way I basically did it was play CASH GAMES at my house and eventually people caught on. We only play CASH GAMES now instead of tournament play.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Play better in the tournaments so that you don't get bored. Or volunteer to be the dealer once you bust out, and spend that time observing how everyone else plays so you'll last longer next time.

How many are in these? Enough so that those who have busted can play a cash game while the tournament is still going on?

Maybe you need to find players interested in cash games, rather than converting those you know. It doesn't sound like it'd be a terribly vibrant game anyway.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM

I can't (yet) convince enough to come over for them... I'm trying to get 5 players minimum for the game.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 PM

I usually last enough to cash (which for our smaller game is 1st or 2nd place). On the infrequent occasions when I bust early (flop nut straight and nut flush draw makes it), I'm terribly bored, even when I'm dealing. I'm pretty sure that I can make my "next buy in" if I convince the busted guys to play a little side game.

We're basically one table at most of these tournament games and the busted players tend to leave or just watch TV with no interest in a side game... hence my post asking for tips on convincing them.

I am trying to find more players... I'm new to town and it's a small town so it's an uphill battle. Meanwhile I'm headed to Detroit tomorrow to play some 200 min/max (which should tell you something... I'm looking forward to a trip to Detroit. Yikes).
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM

We changed our home game from tournaments to cash game. The arguments for this was:
1. You can play play all night
2. More players can be winners (our tournaments only paid 1st place)
3. You don't (have to) loose more. Loosing 2 buy-ins in a cash game is the same as loosing 2 buy-ins in a tournament.

Also we agreed to try it out for a couple of nights and see how we liked it. (Everybody did)
Old 12-22-2006, 11:38 AM

I too hosted no-limit tournaments from a pool of around 30 friends. We played a few tournaments per month for over a year. I finally convinced some of these guys that cash games are cool. You're money risk isn't much different and the pace is slower so the atmosphere is more relaxed.

We play no-limit hold em because most of these guys aren't patient enough to play limit. We've been playing with a max buy-in of $20, and blinds of 10 and 25 cents. I'd like to spice things up without losing players? Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 PM

i've had the same problems..my friends are starting to realize that they're at a disadvantage against the better players who play..

we've recently switched over to a mostly full-time cash game..however, there's no max buy-in..some buy-in short, others like myself, usually buy in for $50 on the .10/.25...
Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 AM

You have to find gamblers/players, willing to play anything.players that thinking to much about the limits or what is going to be played,are generally not so good.with respect ofcourse to their choices.They seems to look for a good investment, rather than the gambler's fever when they are betting real money and offcourse,choking down.
They are afraid.Since you don't ask for crazy limits and they do not want to play even a $20 or $10 buy in cash game,go find others.sad but true
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 AM

Its a pretty big transition from tournament to cash games, so maybe some of the players arent comertable with this. For my game we have up to 8 players all play pretty seriously and I would say with the exception of 3 players are solid. This might not be true but maybe since tournament poker is televised thats why they like it, mabye show them an episode of highstakes poker? Also it wouldnt hurt to tell them you won huge in a cash game, you know about 10 times more than the winner of the tourny wins.