Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 09:44 PM

Default HS Poker, players often look at their hole cards again during hand?

Hi,

Something I have been pondering after watching some episodes of High Stakes Poker. The players often look at their hole cards a couple of times during the hand.

I have only played low stakes live and people checking their cards during the hand is normal. I just check my cards once, and that's it, its stuck in my mind exactly what I have. No need to look again. I only check my hole cards for deception value.

So at these stakes I would assume that the proffesional players would be able to remember two cards and their suits, it's not a big ask. So are they looking to give off tells? Or is it because of the money involved they feel the need to recheck to see if they remember right?

Cheers,
Granite
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: HS Poker, players often look at their hole cards again during hand

Psychologists who study memory use a term called "proactive interference". Say I give you a phone number to remember. Easy, right? Now let's say I give you another one tomorrow. And the next day. At some point you slip. It's not that you suddenly got senile, rather, somehow the phone number I give you today somehow "interferes" with the one I will give you tomorrow. It's not exactly clear why, but you can see why you might pay attention to the 200th phone number, or why at some point they will all "run together".

Now experience poker players have seen hundreds of thousands of hands in their lifetime. So basically, all other things being equal, an experienced poker players may have MORE trouble remembering his hole cards then you.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 AM

ty
Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 AM

Players might also be thinking about all the hands they can represent, all the hands there opponents might represent, what those opponents might actually hold and what they think their opponents think they actually hold. With all those hands flying around in your head, its easy to forget what you have or trick yourself into thinking that you have a hand that youre representing. With so much money on the line, you might as well look again.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM

You could just worry, that you got confused and misread your own hand, when big money is involved.

For example, i played online today and thought i hit a flush with Jd6d.Then after betting twice i reallise, that this is 6h.
Fortunately, the villain folded.
So, if i can misread my cards online, when they are in my face, i'd imagine it's easy to misread them live, when you looked at them once.
Hence the checking twice.