Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Default A lost Art?

oK i have a couple of questions/points to ask

I know this area has already been touched, but what has happen to people being in favor of buying ind. stocks, compared to mutual/index funds? Are there any 2+2 who have a portfolio of ind. stocks? It seems as if everyone takes the mutual/index rounte.

Is it also true that most investors now days are practing buy and hold? I watch Jim cramer and it seems like hes totally agianst it. There was a caller who called in and said hes had 1k to invest. Jim told the guy to slowly build a postion 250 at a time. This seems like a great way to rack up extra fees.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: A lost Art?

there are posters on here who manage portfolios of individual stocks for a living. but the reason that most people are for index funds over individual stocks is that for the vast majority of people out there index funds are the best route and they will make more money that way.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 PM

I pick individual stocks.

Krishan
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pick individual stocks.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that with intense study, hard work and persistance, individual stocks will bring a greater return than index funds. I will let you know how it works out 5 years from now.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:46 PM

It's not a lost art. If it were, you'd see no volume in any stocks that weren't in the S&P 500. It only seems like "everyone" only does index funds because of a few vocal and prolific posters on this site. If you want the best information on the stock market, go to a stock market site, not a poker site.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a lost art. If it were, you'd see no volume in any stocks that weren't in the S&P 500. It only seems like "everyone" only does index funds because of a few vocal and prolific posters on this site. If you want the best information on the stock market, go to a stock market site, not a poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.trade2win.com is the 2+2 of investing/trading
Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM

i'd say fool.com is more the 2+2 of investing.

James
Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 PM

I would treat cramer more like entertainment and not serious investment advice, at least not for the bulk of your money - use what he calls "crazymoney" or something like that if you want to follow his show and buy stuff according to what he says.... but also know what he recommends for research (if I remember right) 1 hour / week / stock you own... so that'll take up all your pokertime to do it right..... good luck.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
www.trade2win.com is the 2+2 of investing/trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an enormous difference between trading and investing. They really don't even belong in the same discussion.