Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 06:58 PM

Default the reasons our posting and viewing habits change

I wonder how many of you have migrated from one sub-forum here to another, and whether the reasons may be similar.

Here's the not-so brief history of Wynton at 2+2.

(1) Initial registration period: According to the records, I registered way back in Sept, 2003. This occurred when I was first becoming enamored with poker and was looking at every forum I could find. I spent little time here, though, because I was overwhelmed by the volume and did not like the aggressive tone.

(2) Years later, I returned, hungry for more solid poker advice than I was getting at any of the smaller forums. In particular, I wanted advice playing short-handed. So I spent a lot of time at the short-handed forum.

(3) Subsequently, I went through a period - probably brief - when I felt in somewhat of a poker groove. I guess I was running hot. As a result, I didn't do nearly as much posting or reading.

(4) Later, I ran bad and posted and read a lot of strategy.

(5) At some point, someone I can't even remember, started pointing me to a few threads at OOT. I'm still not sure whether I should curse or thank him. To this day, I still spend way too much time being amused over there.

(6) Last year, I was quite preoccupied with all the legislative proposals and, consequently, lived at the legislative forum for long stretches.

(7) Since then, I have migrated to various places, including the lounge, of course.

But this history does not really explain all of the moving around, I think. To some degree, I believe the history reflects a changing attitude about the usefulness of 2+2 and the very nature of talking on internet forums. For example, at least on a subconcious level, I think that I have changed my opinion, periodically, about how interested I am in talking to, and interacting with, people on the internet. And maybe my own changing personal needs have something to do with it as well.

Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Re: the reasons our posting and viewing habits change

I was a regular at recpoker.com but there was such a high noise ratio that I needed to find something else. So I started posting in Multi table tournaments. At recpoker, if something was off topic, you just said OT: and posted. Well I posted something that got moved to OOT and then I discovered all the neat threads in OOT.

I spend most of my time in MTT and OOT with some time in STT, POG, MTC and a little bit in the lounge. I dislike BBV b/c they don't like posts about tournaments and I only read the recent big threads in NVG. I already spend too much time at 2+2 forums so I have to limit it to some extent, otherwise I would also do the politics forum.

If I make any changes in the future it's going to be b/c of spending too much time.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: the reasons our posting and viewing habits change

My history. I found out in January 2005 my wife had arranged a surprise holiday to Vegas for my 40th birthday. I decided to try and get my head around some of the games to get the best out of it, and concentrated on learning all about craps, but somehow stumbled onto the fact there were poker rooms. Hadn't played poker in 20+ years, and that was draw and stud, so I started to relearn it. I remember getting some stud books to get my head around it, and spending time trying the stud games, but noticed most of the play was in holdem. I checked it out, but it seemed a bit silly compared to 'real' poker like draw+stud.

However, I then realised most of the Vegas rooms only ran Limit HE, so invested in Lee Jones and the beginner's 2+2 books. put in $25, doubled it that day, took out my initial $25, and it's been plain sailing since. Broke even on the poker in Vegas.

I registered with 2+2 about 2 weeks before leaving for Vegas, and I posted in poker theory and microlimit LHE forums for a while I think.

Stuck to these on my return, and also started posting in psychology, general holdem, but I think I did a search around the time of the London Bus bombings on 'London', and came across OOT. My first posts were criticising some idiot who was suggesting the English would roll over like the Spanish in the wake of the bombings.

OOT then became home for a long, long time.

My LHE game was getting solid so I gave up posting in the strats, and stuck to posting the the 'other topics' section, mainly OOT, but also SMP, and sometimes in Politics.

Stayed there for an awful long time, until a big argument about splitting out 'Entertainment' precipitated friction, and out of the various discussions 'The Lounge' was formed.

During all this, I did forays into assorted games, such as STTs, MTTs, No-Limit Ring, and today I now stick to MTTs with some STTs now and again. I very occasionally play ring, but the suckouts annoy me too much. I don't mind them in STTs and MTTs, but idiotic play for real money I just get annoyed about.

so now I post in The Lounge, POG, About The Forums, BBV, BBV4Life, and the 2 MTT forums.

Our habits change because we change. Our game improves, we either stop posting in strat and if we post at all, it's in the OT section, or we move to different strat forums.

WRT to the OT forums - they either have stuff you want to talk about because it's of specific interest, or you like the community vibe.

Many people love OOT (or indeed BBV) when they find it, and even if OOT were exactly the same as it was (it has changed for the worse IMO), you'd get bored of its rapidness and shallowness (though there are some good exceptions to this) after a while, and maybe move on to the more talky forums - here, SMP, Politics for example. consider how many posters + OOT regulars of say a year ago barely go in there now. If you look in another year, you might find posters like Tuq, Edfurlong hell even Daryn and NT, might be no longer posting much in there. It's just the way of things.

I guess with OOT, SMP, Politics and even the Dorm, there'll get to be a point where you've had the same stuff gone over again and again so many times there's nothing new to interest you maybe?

The Lounge, of course, is not like this.