Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 PM

Default I\'M The One Who Is Impolite And Prejudiced??

Fundamentalists words to me translate to "When you state your beliefs I have no choice but to think you are almost certainly going to forever burn in hell".

So how am I the nasty one when my reply translates to "When you state your beliefs I have no choice but to think you are almost certainly not going to be able to answer difficult math problems"
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: I\'M The One Who Is Impolite And Prejudiced??

Because, that is their religious belief and is in no way meant to be personal, just an honest answer? Whereas with yours is definitely meant to be taken personally.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are almost certainly not going to be able to answer difficult math problems

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing this off of?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 PM

There are plenty of people who do well with intelligence but still deeply believe in some bible.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because, that is their religious belief and is in no way meant to be personal, just an honest answer? Whereas with yours is definitely meant to be taken personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. If I said that they were ugly that would be a different story. Meanwhile by your standards if I said that I think God will kill their children that wouldn't be nearly as insulting as claiming their SATs are below average.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:27 PM

i only took the ACT so I cant so my SAT score, but i figure 35 on ACT is enough to be above average, god wont kill your children, he will just send them to hell if they dont believe jesus is their savior.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fundamentalists words to me translate to "When you state your beliefs I have no choice but to think you are almost certainly going to forever burn in hell".

So how am I the nasty one when my reply translates to "When you state your beliefs I have no choice but to think you are almost certainly not going to be able to answer difficult math problems"

[/ QUOTE ]

david,

from their point of view they are helping you; their behavior is a logical conclusion of their belief; they are helping you avoid the barbeque. standard behavior for doom hook theology.

also understand that some of them are taught (especially certain types of baptists) that god holds them accountable if they do not properly explain the doom hook gospel to you (i.e. your soul is in their hands (an idea which is contradicted by scripture btw)). this further contributes to the doom and the hook as they contemplate how pissed god is going to be because they didn't witness to and save those around them.

you've posted several times now on this subject; you're spending time and energy on it; why? just have mercy on these people and move on man. don't abuse them; forgive them and move on.

ray
Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David, the view that we must respect a religious belief is certainly a problem. But it's a step up from forcing religious views on everyone, a huge step in modern culture. The idea that we should ridicule the more ridiculous, and evil religious beliefs isn't quite as popular as it should be, yet.

It is indeed a sensitive issue. And most people could use a lesson in logic and math. I'm not an expert in either. However, one can see why people that are supposed to be improving in logic skills, instead are turned off at the method which you chose to present your case, with a gradiose challenge. I certaining can't see any reason why you should go to hell, just because you don't believe in some paticular part of some ancient book, while if you followed every part you'd almost deserve hell. Perhaps it's not logic that people who say everyone is going to hell need help in, but compasion and understanding.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

I agree with your method, but I think it is most definately used in a somewhat ridiculing manner. After all, how do you voice a disagreement with someone who's strongest beliefs contradict logic? As Dawkins would probably agree, ridicule has its place here.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yours is testable which makes it much more threatening.

chez