Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Ethical Question

I'll throw in a cliffs notes at the bottom, but I think there are enough nuances I hope most people who will respond will read the full explanation.

So a couple months ago I bought 7 tickets to go see La Reve at the Wynn here in Las Vegas. The plan was for me and a bunch of out-of-town guests to go. At the last second, those plans were scrapped and so I have 7 tickets to sell.

When I bought them, I thought I was going to pay $121/ticket. At the last second when talking to the ticket person she realized that because I was a local, I got a discount, 2 for 1, for up to 4 tickets. So I ended up paying $60.50/ticket for 4 tickets and $121/ticket for the other 3, for a total of $605 for 7 tickets (~$87/ticket total).

So anyways, fast forward to a few days ago and I post an ad for the tix and figure since most people interested in going would be from out-of-town and exempt from the locals discount, I advertised them as $121 face value, since that's what most people could buy them for. I got some responses, and a few people agreed to buy them for about $75/each (3 different groups, 2/2/3 tix).

I didn't think anything of it, but now I just realized that a couple of the guys who bought some of the tickets are actually locals. So in the end, I'm selling some tickets for which I paid $60.50 for $75 to people who might very well be able to buy similar seats from the Wynn for $60.50.

The other problem of course is that 3 of the tix are marked "$121", and 4 are marked "$60.50 2 for 1." So I might actually end up trying to sell tickets marked as $60.50 for $75 to people who might be able to buy from elsewhere for $60.50.

I assume the other guys are unaware of the 2 for 1 promotion probably for the same reason I was--it's not advertised and I was only told about it at the last second after I'd already chosen the tickets I wanted and was about to pay.

So first local guy who wants to buy them from me shows up in 40 mins. What do I do? Tell him I goofed and offer him the tickets for $60? Hope he doesn't notice and take the $75 agreed upon price?

FWIW, I did pay $87/ticket and so even getting $75/each I'm taking a loss. And I'm also unsure of whether or not the 2 for 1 locals special is still in effect. There *are* similar seats still available, though.

Cliffs Notes: May end up selling tickets I paid $60/each for for $75/each to people who could might be able to actually still buy them for $60/each if they knew. What do I do?

edit: ok I just called them and the 2 for 1 locals special is still available.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Ethical Question

no one has an opinion? Or is everyone still hanging out in NVG?

at least someone tell me I'm an idiot or something. I only have like 15 more mins till the guy shows up, and I need a play.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:52 PM

maybe you should meet him in the quad and settle it over a game of hacky-sack.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 PM

You worry way too much. It's not your fault if these guys didn't do their research first, and at the very worst the guy is losing $60 vs buying them at Wynn. Big deal.

Save this kind of guilt for when you sell a guy a car for full price and you know it's got a blown head gasket, but he doesn't get it checked out first.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:33 PM

What's the dilemma? You offered the tickets at a price, and someone agreed to pay it. It's not your concern if they've checked to see if they can get cheaper tickets.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Would these people have to pay ticketmaster or other surcharges if they bought the tickets? Or tax?

I wouldn't worry about it - consider the few extra bucks to be "shipping and handling" charges or a convenience charge for getting them.

Like you said, you're not making money.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 PM

They had no problem paying you $75 for tix that they thought cost you $121.

F'em.

If he complains about he price on the tix remind him they all average out to be $87 and he's still getting a deal.