Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM

Default No Drive, failing college xpost

I have absolutely no drive anymore. I'm not sure if it is because of poker or not, but it has definitely contributed to my laziness. I'm 20 years old and a sophmore in college, making around $150k a year from poker. I feel like college is pointless sometimes but at the same time I don't want to regret not doing well and giving my best effort. I often play poker or go out with friends rather than do homework or even study for the 2 exams tomorrow that I haven't even started to study for. I rarely even go to class anymore.

I want to have a more balanced life but it is so hard to do when you have no drive. I have drive to workout, make money, and be good at poker, but right now that's about it and school is just suffering completely.

I'm sure others have felt like this, is there any methods that work, any motivation?
Should I just drop out of college and disappoint my parents?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: No Drive, failing college xpost

I would finish college if I were you. The games online could dry up and having dropped out of college, you don't want to have to go 40hr/wk at a B&M just because you didn't want to study. I don't go to class either, thats why you cram. Its only 2.5 more years of suffering, btw which gives you time to make that money.

don't be a degen
Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 PM

Sometimes I feel like this, although I don't have the money to fall back on, alot of the times I just feel like not doing [censored] and will not study or something. For me, however, it is usally linked to bouts of depression which happen throughout the semsester. I think what you need is a goal, yeah you could quit school and become a pro poker player but is that what you want. Can you make 150k a year consistently, if so, well you could make a damn good arguement for quiting school. My goal is to become a lawyer, hell if I ever got good enough I might consider professional balla but it would have to be something I really wanted. I think you should just look within yourself, and ask where you see yourself within 10-15 years, what kind of job do you have etc... Also you may want to think about changing your major if you can't get yourself to do hw, maybe you are just so uninterested that you can't work. Either way this question is for you to decide, no one on here can tell you what to do.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:12 AM

uhh, i am in the same EXACT position you are.

but there are times where i think to myself "there are opportunities in life you never appreciate or realize the significance on your development as a person that you should do so that you never regret not experiencing"

studying sux and is a huge time committment, and so is class.. i hear you.

i'm a senior and im running out of patience so hard while everybody is traveling around the circuit im sitting in a suburban townie area in a state college.. but even though ive only enjoyed and truely loved a few classes while here.. the information and pleasure i had while learning about them is something i'll never regret.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 AM

Have fun making me fast food or fixing my car when the games dry up.

That should be motivation enough.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Finish university. I'm in a similar spot, although making only 1/6 of your annual hit. My motivation for pretty much everything in life besides hockey, baseball, beer and poker is lacking.

The way I see it, you don't need to do well. Just don't flunk out. Like they say, D stands for Degree. I'm half done third year now and sometimes I feel like quitting. But as I like to say when discussing the issue, by now I'm pretty much pot-committed to my degree.

A university degree opens doors you would like to open, doors you didn't know you wanted to open, and doors you didn't know existed. Don't close all of them at 20 years old.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 AM

finish school, with the uncertainty of online poker, that education that u need to only spend a few more years on will kick in nicely and help u out in the long run...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM

Finish. Best case scenario you'll be rich from poker in 10 years, and you'll have broadened your horizons. Maybe you'll be comfortable enough that you'll want to do something with that money. Perhaps something helped by having an education.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:30 AM

thanks guys. I've been thinking alot about this lately.

I have an amazing time at college and love it. The school work part sucks, but it's overrated in my opinion anyway.

I decided I will continue school, just take minimal somewhat easy classes and half-ass it, and play poker while it is still so profitable. If/when it becomes less profitable I will take more classes to make up for it and try harder as well.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm in the exact same position right now. I actually asked my dad for help because he usually gives me good advice and I tell you exactly what he told me. " do what you got to do; hey better to cheat then repeat" and I've been pretty much following that advice since. good luck to ya... don't drop out if anything take a semester off gather your thoughts and find out what you want to do with your life. If your anything like me sitting in front of a computer is the last thing I want to be doing in 10 years.