Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Some advice on pocket queens.

I was recently in a tournament were the top 9 places paid, there were 37 of us left in the tournament. The ante was $100, blinds were 1000/2000. I had about 12,000 in chips. I was in mid position when I was dealt Q Q. A player in early position raised to 4000. I wanted to get heads up with him since he had raised with some not so good hands earlier or have him fold his hand and collect his 4000 so I went all in. Everyone folded but he called. We turned our cards over and like I thought I had the best of it. He showed A 7 off. Of course an Ace came on the flop and I lost, not only the hand but all my chips. After thinking about the hand I thought maybe I just should have called with my QQ and if an ace or a king hit the flop and he bet, I could fold. If I would have done that I still would have had 8,000 in chips to continue play. Then again, 8000 is not much with the blinds at 1000/2000. What would you have done?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Some advice on pocket queens.

no, you played it fine. its just a bad beat thats all, your hand is the stone cold nuts with those blinds and those stacks.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:32 AM

Push before you get so shortstacked.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 AM

I always think the same thing, but if your reads are right and you feel you are ahead, you made the right play. It's just tough luck that he caught his Ace to beat you. I had a coach once who told me that sometimes in Poker you make the right play and lose, and you can make the wrong play and win. You can't be results oriented.

You were a 71:28 favorite QQ over A7o.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 AM

Probably should have shoved earlier.

There are tournaments at bars in my area that start you off with 25 BB and then the blinds double every 20 minutes. People just hang around until they have about 1 BB left and move in blind.

Those are the same people that throw hissy fits when I move in with 87s and 98o at a shorthanded table with 7 BB remaining.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM

you played this fine, if you just call 4k with your Qs, then you run the risk of him acting first after the flop and putting you all in with a hand like 10/10,thru 8/8.

dont give him a chance to rep the ace. going all in means you get your money in with the best, and if the Ace is comming your gonna lose anyways.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 PM

It's not a matter of allowing the villian to play first after the flop. With a starting M of 4, the second you put chips into the hand, you are pot committed. As that is the case, there is no other play besides pushing preflop with QQ in that situation.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 PM

True, your M was so low that its push/fold at that point, you should have been happy you had such a strong hand. too bad the end result wasnt nice.