Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 PM

Default .5/1 need help with turn decision

Unknown villain, this is only the second orbit. What would your turn play be here against an unknown? As I see it my options are bet/call, bet/fold, or check/call. I think check/call is worst, but I'm in a downswing that has my confidence really shaken. Thanks for the help.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>
Old 12-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: .5/1 need help with turn decision

cold calling like that 3bets from the CO hes almost as likely to have KK QQ or 10 10 as a J which are all more likely than JJ 77 or 44 and i cant see him calling 3 cold with any J hand except AJs ( one combo now AdJd) or JJ only one combo

i dont see ck calling down being that bad cuz i think he bets all those hands u beat anyways once u ck if hes not any sort of hand reader . id really not like to bet/fold since him having AJ is less likely than him bluff raising once this pairs (since uve made so much of ur possible range here seem to include an overpair) so id most likely bet call down from here not sure if its the most EV line in this spot but i dont think bet fold is either.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 PM

B/C sounds like the worst line to me. If you don't want to risk getting bluffed, I'd rather go c/c.

B/F is probably safe.

Checking may induce a bluff or QQ, KK, another AA to bet.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM

I don't like betting this turn because we might get owned by something like 99 that decides to raise for a free showdown or pay off to a J.

I'd probably check/call turn and river. We don't care about giving free cards and he might catch a pair on the river if we check the turn and pay us off.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

B/F is probably safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I can't see that being correct. Sure there's a chance this guy is going nuts w/ AJs or rightfully so with JJ, but there aren't as many combos of those as there are hands like TT, QQ, KK which I think are equally likely holdings given the action.

I'm open to argument though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

B/F is probably safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I can't see that being correct. Sure there's a chance this guy is going nuts w/ AJs or rightfully so with JJ, but there aren't as many combos of those as there are hands like TT, QQ, KK which I think are equally likely holdings given the action.

I'm open to argument though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think raising this turn w/ AJ cuz u 3bet preflop and 3bet the flop would exactly be going nuts id call it a warranted raise seeing as almost no hands beat it and theyre likely not in ur range (maybe 77) i really dont like bet folding vs an unknown here tho who knows what he ll play and how.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM

I think this is a perfect time to c/c down. If you're ahead, he's folding to your bet. The only way you're getting any value is if you let him bluff at it, which he very well might do when you check and the top card pairs.

It also prevents him from doing any crazy [censored] bluff, as folding the winning hand here would be a disaster.

I don't think any other line is particularly close.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:53 PM

*grunch*

I think bet/call. Against an unknown the villain probably has a pair at this point, but I wouldn't assume a Jack. Any pair will raise the flop-- he doesn't know you've got Aces.

If he raises the turn, I'd still call down against an unknown.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 PM

I check-call here.
And for me, we cannot fold; the pot is too big
Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM

I like a bet/fold. This guy can't raise the turn here without a J or 77. You've simply shown too much strength for him to raise without a hand that has AA drawing to 2 outs. I don't really see what checking and calling accomplishes other than allowing you to hit your two outer once in a blue moon on the river and preventing villain from raising the turn with a worse hand (perhaps TT/QQ/KK thinks he can rep the J on the turn and get AA/KK to fold). I suppose checking and calling is easier because you don't have to deal with the discomfot of getting raised. But with the action having gone the way it did, I can't see villain raising this turn wihout a hand that crushes hero's, so I'd bet and then fold.